Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kid with OCD?

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question kid with OCD?

Does anyone have a child with OCD? When did you notice this?

My DS 3 has always been kind of an orderly sort which we encouraged because my older boys are total slobs LOL. But he is really getting off the charts lately.

Yesterday he went into the fridge and there was a tiny drop of something on the door and he freaked out and demanded that I clean it up right away. Now today, he was eating a Hershey's Kiss and the top was broken off. He wouldn't eat it!!! He said it was broken and he wanted a big one.

I don't know if I should keep encouraging him to wash his hands, pick up his toys, and stuff...even though it's good for me, if he has this tendency to begin with, could I be aggravating it???

He is willing to play with clay and in the dirt and stuff, so it's not out of control yet, but it's all very strange considering my adult son wouldn't notice a spot to save his own life!!!
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here! AJ is 9 and very OCD. I just watch it and let him know when he is becoming overly obsessive.
    Sara
    Mommy to 4 boys and 2 girls!
    AJ, Brian, Kyle, Jacob, Cassandra and my last, Abigail born 9-18-13

CocoChanel
    Well, Evan was like that at that age. If a cracker was broken or chipped, nope would not eat it. I have SO many pictures of him where I was wanting him to look at the camera and smile but he was too engrossed with scowling at dirt on his hands. He was very particular to WHAT the adults were doing and mimicked (sp?) that behavior to a T. (like the cleaning...I think he felt he was "supposed" to be concerned with messes etc, even though I never really made a huge point out of cleaning anything immediately).
    But now he is still VERY concerned with rules (except mine, lol) like the crosswalks, or what the speed limit is, if I am on a line in a parking spot etc and is more intense with his emotions than the other boys. But I don't see him as OCD, I think he is just that type of personality that leans toward that spectrum of behavior (like me!)
    I know what you are talking about though, I distinctly remember a time I was called out on a sink full of dirty dishes by a certain little someone.

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The broken/I'm not going to eat it thing I think is just a kid thing...I have 1/4 that doesn't like messes. She's outnumbered and has had to learn to live with it!
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I worry about my youngest DD...she is only 2 and a half but has always had a few little traits that make me wonder. I think I have the potential to be a bit OCD about things myself and I am more worried about the anxiety issues it can bring.
    She has always done the lining up thing, like shoes have to be in line with each other, right way around etc and the grouping/sorting thing.
    The letterbox was a big one for a while there...she would check it and find no mail but as she was walking away she would have to run back and check it again...4 or 5 times. That one worried me as I could tell she was torn between coming to me when I was calling her or going back to check the mail...it seemed more like compulsion than curiosity.
    I have a nephew with behavioural tics and I have always had a few myself (although I was very good at hiding them) and DD#2 had an eye-blinking one for a few months (I had this one too...still sometimes do but it's never in public or noticeable) so I would say she probably has the same tendancies.
    DD#1 shows no signs of any of it.
    I think it is good to recognise it but make sure you don't obssess over it yourself....lol. I think these things are normal in a large number of kids and most things seem to get outgrown (or they move on to the next little oddity). I plan to just keep in mind that DD#2 may need coaching through some anxiety issues down the track...I have always internalised anxieties to the point where I don't even know I am anxoius until I am hit with a panic attack.
    I notice DD#1 shows her anxieties externally so I always know exactly when she is concerned about something whereas DD#2 is more like me and you wouldn't even know she was worried about anything at first glance (but in the inside is probably having a freak out).

BTW, neither of my DD's worry about getting dirty either but I do notice I never have to tell DD#2 to go wash her hands afterwards.
    Last edited by grasshopper; January 1st, 2011 at 10:02 PM. Reason: more to say

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow thank you all! He's only 2 1/2 years old so I guess I should just wait and see...he is a kind of intense little character and when things don't happen in a way in which he expects he is prone to freaking out! But, it's like a lot of nice qualities seem to go along with it! I wouldn't trade him, that's for sure.

Dream User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi, my oldest boy, he hasnt got OCD, he has OCPD, (the P stands for personality) so where as people with OCD get obsessed with one thing or one type of thing, my son is obsessive about everything. Hes actually in the process of being officially diagnosed with it but we know that is what he is. We dont have a problem with and it never bothered us, but because of the way he is, he also has a tendency to take things far too literally and this caused problems when he started school and his teachers didnt understand even though i had made them well aware of it. Now that they are, its much easier for them as they know to be careful about the way they tell him something or the way they ask him to something. My DH and myself first noticed that there was something going on when he was around 18month old, everything had to be done a certain way, his cars always had to be in a certain order and lined up with equal amounts of space between them, he spent a lot of time making sure those spaces were as accurate as he could get them. But thats just an example, he is obsessive about all aspects of his life, but like i said before, it never bothered Dh and me until it started causing problems at school, that is the only reason we took him to see anyone, it doesnt cause any problems at home at the moment and it is just the way he is as far as we are concerned, but we will keep an eye on it incase it does start to become anything serious and start causing a lot of problems in every part of his life. Like i said before though, now the school are more aware (after several meetings and me having to tell them everytime) and know how to deal with him, it no longer causes problems at all. Im sure your little boy will be fine
    May 05 Nov 07 Dec 08 May 11
    And our Very Big Surprise due May 2012

Dream User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My DS has a few quirks like that too, but I read that it's normal at that age, 2 or3, that they are trying to "put order" to things.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you! Yes, he's also a car-liner-upper guy too.

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I always go with the "think horse not zebra" mentality, so the horse argument would agree that he's hitting a new developmental stage and/or he's going to be cleaner than most kids.

We ended up with a doozy of a zebra, though. Our youngest dd was missing developmental milestones after 2nd b-day. When she was 9 years old, after years of treatment for ADHD, OCD, tics, anxiety, & autism, we found out it was Strep (had to cx her 2nd bday party b/c we were all sick with it). We've been treating it for almost a year now: no more anxiety, no more tics, no more OCD, etc. And she's making huge strides towards her social & academic development.

It's called P.A.N.D.A.S. The book Saving Sammy gives 1 family's story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast