Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

IF + GD = special form of hell

So now that we've had our initial consult with our RE, the reality that we're 'officially' infertile has hit home. And on top of that is still this godawful horrible GD that just WILL NOT GO AWAY.

No matter what I've tried in self-talk, reasoning, trying to change my thoughts and viewpoints, no matter how many of my blessings I count, no matter what bonding activities I do with my boys, I finally admit I cannot banish this damned monster. The GD bitterness is something I just can't rid myself of. It is this horrible yearning that is with me every damned day and only grows worse as we struggle to conceive again at all. I hate it so much.

Oh sure I say all the right things. Heck I could search my old posts here on GD and find lots of posts I wrote about how wonderful having 3 boys is. And it is! But it hasn't done a thing to abate the longing for a girl I have that seems to just eat me up inside. The fertility troubles we're having now is just making it so much worse. Because before I could say, well we'll just keep having kids till we get a girl is all....but now I have to face reality that having ANY more at all is going to be hard and probably expensive, if it's possible at all. So we also face having to compromise much of my sway to get preggo at all. It feels like giving up and it SUCKS.

And this week is especially hellish because my neighbour is due any day now. Everyday I get to see her and be bitterly jealous that she's preggo. And every day I'm just waiting for her to have the baby and it'll probably be another girl. I already HATED her so frigging much that she got her PP, and just watch she'll have another girl and it'll feel absolutely devastating when we can't get preggo at all.

I will be seeing an infertility counsellor next week, and I'll have to deal with not just my issues with my IF but also my GD. I'm terrified of being judged though. But I do need help because I don't know how to make peace with my feelings, and everyday it's just hurting so damned much.
    Last edited by LacePrincess; May 22nd, 2015 at 10:22 PM.
    Me (38) and DH (38)

SAHM military momma to DS1 (2004), DS2 (who's all boy but loves to dance, though not in a tutu!) (2006), DS3 (2009), and our rainbow baby girl DD1 (2017)

early m/c Jan 2013

Cycle #1 @ HRC (Oct 2014) - 6 retrieved, 4 mature, 3 fertilized and biopsied. 1XX and 1XY abnormal. 1XX no DNA found, rebiopsied and found normal, frozen.
    FET attempt #1 (Nov 2014) - cancelled due to functional cyst. FET attempt #2 (Jan 30, 2015) - NT. Remaining embie failed to thaw.

May 2015 - started infertility treatments at OFC. Femara 2.5mg
    July 2015 - BFP after second round of Femara. Aug 4 2015 - 6w4d
    Dec 21 2015 - mmc 7w1d

Apr 2016 - IVF Cycle #2. Converted to IUI because of uneven response and leading follicles.
    Apr 19, 2016 - IUI with 3 mature follicles (2 right, 1 left), post wash: 17mil, 94% motility and 89% rapid motility. BFN.

June 3, 2016 - 5mg Femara cycle. 5w.
    Sep 1, 2016 - 5mg Femara cycle. 8w.

Our rainbow baby girl arrived on Mon Aug 28, 2017 - "After every storm comes a rainbow". We are so thankful and grateful for every moment.

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh Lace, I am so so sorry. It is especially hard having someone so close to you being pregnant. You have had such a tough year. Would you consider adoption? Xxx

3. Thanks LacePrincess thanked for this post
    IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would just be an open book at this point. What do you have to lose?? What if you get pregnant with another boy? Is that going to be ok? Do you have insurance that would cover IVF for infertility purposes?
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

5. Thanks LacePrincess thanked for this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I"m so sorry Lace. I wish I knew how to fix this for you.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

7. Thanks LacePrincess thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    pink_bean - thank you for the support. It does mean a lot already to know when I'm crying and posting on the anonymous interwebs, that there are kind people out there actually listening. It helps just to feel less alone, so thank you!!

Summerstown - thank you for listening! For us no, adoption really isn't something for us. I do believe that adoption is a wonderful and very special thing, but it has to 'speak' to your heart, and for us it's just not something we yearn for ourselves. Our final final line would be IVF until it's useless, and we wouldn't do donor anything either because if we can't make another baby with our own genes, then we're done. We're a long way from having to close that door of course, but that would be it for us if it came down to that.

NBP - oh believe me at this point I don't care what gender we have! LOL I want desperately to have another child. But no matter what I do to try to convince myself, I'd be a lying liar liar if I didn't admit that deep down in the very bottom of my heart if I never have a girl I will always, always feel like a piece of my soul is missing. I've tried to kill that stupid desire since my very first pregnancy and it hasn't gone away. I don't think it ever will. I really hope counselling will help me deal with that.

When I see baby boys now, I feel nostalgic and a sweet longing to have another baby boy. So of course I'd adore the heck out of a boy! When I see baby girls or toddler girls though, omg the pain just makes it so I can't even breathe. I can barely look at them at all because it hurts SO damned much and all I can feel is jealousy so intense it borders on hatred. It's the ugliest thing ever. And it's nothing I can bring up at IF peer groups of course, so it's so danged isolating to have these horrible feelings too.

Unfortunately for us, no ivf is covered at all. IUI is pretty much fully covered by my provincial insurance, and I'm fortunate I have an excellent drug plan so all drugs would be covered at 90% with no cap, but the IVF procedure itself isn't covered at all. My plan, if low intervention fails us and we have to go HT again, is to look into clinics all over again and probably check out US ones again, maybe in the NY area. Maybe GS can come back onto the table but with a big caveat that just getting preggo, period, is the main priority. I have a lot to research and think about though.
    Me (38) and DH (38)

SAHM military momma to DS1 (2004), DS2 (who's all boy but loves to dance, though not in a tutu!) (2006), DS3 (2009), and our rainbow baby girl DD1 (2017)

early m/c Jan 2013

Cycle #1 @ HRC (Oct 2014) - 6 retrieved, 4 mature, 3 fertilized and biopsied. 1XX and 1XY abnormal. 1XX no DNA found, rebiopsied and found normal, frozen.
    FET attempt #1 (Nov 2014) - cancelled due to functional cyst. FET attempt #2 (Jan 30, 2015) - NT. Remaining embie failed to thaw.

Dec 21 2015 - mmc 7w1d

Apr 2016 - IVF Cycle #2. Converted to IUI because of uneven response and leading follicles.
    Apr 19, 2016 - IUI with 3 mature follicles (2 right, 1 left), post wash: 17mil, 94% motility and 89% rapid motility. BFN.

Our rainbow baby girl arrived on Mon Aug 28, 2017 - "After every storm comes a rainbow". We are so thankful and grateful for every moment.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Lace, big big hug to you. I am so sorry.

Infertility after having had 3 kids is insane. No one cares because "you already have 3 kids" and you KNOW your body can do it...but who the hell knows why it won't???

Can you seek some support from a counselor? It might help just take the edge off. You could bitch about your neighbor to a real person and get some empathy. That may be just enough to help you refocus.

Hang in there. Things will change with time, thank goodness!

My Gender Dreaming

10. Likes LacePrincess liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    I"m so sorry Lace. I wish I knew how to fix this for you.
    Oh gosh I wish too! Thank you though, so much, I really am so appreciative that you don't mind listening. I've always been subfertile so worrying about my fertility isn't new, but I've never felt quite so broken before. It really sucks. I'm just grateful that we did decide to start having kids young, because if I'd waited till my 30's who knows if we'd ever have had any at all.
    Me (38) and DH (38)

early m/c Jan 2013

Dec 21 2015 - mmc 7w1d

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Adia View Post
    Lace, big big hug to you. I am so sorry.

Infertility after having had 3 kids is insane. No one cares because "you already have 3 kids" and you KNOW your body can do it...but who the hell knows why it won't???

Can you seek some support from a counselor? It might help just take the edge off. You could bitch about your neighbor to a real person and get some empathy. That may be just enough to help you refocus.

Hang in there. Things will change with time, thank goodness!
    Adia - thank you!! That's it exactly - infertility after 3 kids really IS insane. And well, to like 99.99% of the people I know, 3 kids is already 'too many'. After that it's Duggarville so no one wants to hear about it and no one is sympathetic. They all just think I'm insane for wanting more.

I am seeing a counsellor on Tues - I realized too that I needed help! DH isn't much help since he has GD himself.

I am very very grateful that my RE has been VERY kind. He has 5 kids himself, lol, so he obviously likes piles of children too! And as my RE describes it, essentially we've always been subfertile. He suspects DH has always had iffy morphology, and our history for TTC is:

DS1 - 2 cycles
    DS2 - 9 cycles
    DS3 - 14 cycles

So it's been getting worse and worse over time anyways so really, it's not a huge shocker that at this point we're having infertility issues. My RE thinks that our fertility problems (DH's morphology plus my ovulation issues) made it harder and harder to get preggo and now they've worsened just enough that we can't get preggo on our own anymore. I'm really glad he's not sugarcoating it and because of my age he seems to want to go pretty aggressive, which works for me!
    Me (38) and DH (38)

early m/c Jan 2013

Dec 21 2015 - mmc 7w1d

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So glad you are seeing a counselor next week. Can't hurt, might help.

What a gem your RE is! I finally found a random family practitioner who helped me figure out my thyroid problem and them BAM! I got prego. He made a huge difference and when he said "we'll help you get prego" it made my heart sing!

Having a sympathetic medical support person can make all the difference.

Hang in there honey, this is so hard. Try and put it all on the back burner throughout the day when you can. Much easier said than done.

Big hugs!

My Gender Dreaming

14. Thanks LacePrincess thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    (((Adia)))) Thanks for the hugs.

I do feel happy with our RE. Mind you we've only seen him once, lol, but our initial impressions are very good. He spent over an hour with us at our consult and even empathized with our disastrous IVF experience last year, which I didn't expect. I've read his reviews and most complaints are things like him being very straightforward/no bullshit, and also he tends to assume you're knowledgeable and not explain basic things very well. Both of which I like! I don't want to be reassured and patronized, I need to know the reality and I LOVE medical practitioners that treat me like I know my body and am knowledgeable. I also appreciate that he didn't reassure us for the sake of reassuring us either. And being the head RE at our clinic I definitely think he's knowledgeable!

I'm looking forward to the counsellor too, I'm just scared about talking about GD since she's an infertility counselor and I always feel so 'greedy' complaining about GD.
    Me (38) and DH (38)

early m/c Jan 2013

Dec 21 2015 - mmc 7w1d

16. Likes Adia liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast