Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Basic Breads for pink and blue

Updated 12-11-17 - I am moving the original much out of date essay to the end of the thread - since we are no longer even sure whole grains are best for blue and low sodium for pink has not seemed to help at all and most of us have given up on it. I'll be back by when I can to write a new one and share some more recipes
    Last edited by atomic sagebrush; December 11th, 2017 at 10:49 AM.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Basic Bread recipes that can be used for both pink and blue!

PART ONE - Fun and special occasion yeast breads! Since I am assuming ~most~ people are probably not going to want to make their own bread every day I'm starting with fun breads because I don't have enough time to do the whole shebang all at once!

Crackers/Pizza Crust/Foccacia/breadsticks in your food processor: (you can also use a KitchenAid mixer for this recipe, just use a dough hook)

1 pkg. yeast
    1 1/4 c. warm water
    2 1/2 c. flour
    3 T oil ( use corn oil, use olive oil)

For add 1 heaping tsp. salt.

Pulse 1/2 c. water, yeast and 1/2 c. flour for a couple seconds to dissolve the yeast. Wait 10 minutes until bubbles start to form. Add oil and salt if desired, pulse until mixed. Add 2 1/2 c. of flour (if using a mixer, you can just dump in all the flour and knead it with your dough hook, that's what I always do)and let food processor run until it binds together into a sticky mass.

Put this into an oiled bowl and let sit for 30 minutes, then knead in the remaining flour. For crackers you bake it right away, for everything else you will have to let it rise a second time.

For crackers, roll and/or stretch the dough thinly on a cookie sheet. (For you can sprinkle salt on it, although this is a lot of work for crackers, if you're swaying blue you can just buy saltines!!) Bake for 10 minutes at 500 degrees watching closely to make sure it doesn't burn.

For Focaccia, split the dough into two halves and put each half into a round cake pan. Let it rise for an hour and then bake it 15-20 minutes at 375.

For Breadsticks, shape the dough into breadsticks (if you like crispy ones make them small, for doughy ones make them larger), let rise for 30 minutes, and bake at 375.

For pizza crust, split the dough in half and let it rest for 10 minutes after kneading. Then spread/roll it out on pizza pans to make two crusts. Let rise for 30 minutes, top with your preferred toppings and bake at 375. I usually switch the pizzas around halfway through baking, putting the top pizza on the bottom and the bottom on top, so they cook evenly.

(For boy pizza, go heavy on the meats, garlic, boy-friendly vegetables, and tomato sauce and sparingly on cheese - you can try sprinkling it with nutritional yeast flakes in place of parmesan. For girl pizza, use alfredo sauce, no sauce, or very very light tomato sauce, top with mushrooms and low sodium cheese.)

French Bread/Baguettes

2 pkg. yeast
    2 cups warm water
    5 1/2-6 cups flour

In a mixing bowl, put the warm water and yeast. (For add 2 teaspoons salt) Add 2 cups of the flour and mix for 3 minutes. Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can with a spoon and knead in the rest by hand (if you have a Kitchen Aid mixer you can use your dough hook and knead in the flour that way). Let rise for an hour in a covered bowl in a warm place, then divide into two for loaves or 6 for baguettes. If you want loaves, you will have to slash the top with a knife to allow it to rise properly. Shape as desired and let rise for another hour, then bake at 375 for 40 minutes. If you like a very crusty loaf, mix an egg white with water and brush the crust once before putting it into the oven and again after 20 minutes.

Recipes just for Pink -

Sesame Bread (I've never made this so I don't know if it's good or not, but sesames have a lot of calcium and are def. a traditional "girl" food!!) - 1 1/3 warm water, 1 pkg. yeast, 1 T sugar or Splenda, 5 C flour (optional, you can add 1/4 c dry milk to the water/yeast if you have it) - Put the yeast into the warm water for 5 min. until it gets foamy. Proceed just as above for making bread and then once you've mixed, kneaded, and let it rise once shape the dough into a snake and brush it with water, then roll it in the sesame seeds. Shape them into rings (like sesame seed covered doughnuts) and let them rise again on a greased baking sheet, then bake them at 350 for 40 minutes You will want to mist or brush them with water every 10 minutes to keep the seeds from burning.

Recipes just for Blue -

Challah - 2 1/2 cups warm water, 1 pkg. yeast, 1/2 cup sugar (don't use Truvia), 3 or 4 eggs (if they are super big, use 3, otherwise use 4) , 1 T salt (at least! you may be able to use more, if it still tastes good to you this way!!!), 1/4 c. olive oil, 8 cups flour. Mix yeast into water and let sit for 5 minutes to soften, then blend in the oil, eggs, sugar, salt, and you can toss in 1 cup of raisins or dried apricots. Then mix in the water and knead, either by hand or using your mixer attachment for 5 or 10 minutes. Let rise for an hour and then divide into 6 pieces. Let the dough rest for a few minutes and then form the pieces into snakes and braid them together into two braids of bread. Let rise for an hour and then bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. You can brush them with egg if you want shiny bread, but you don't have to.
    Last edited by atomic sagebrush; April 16th, 2011 at 04:40 PM.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Atomic!

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great info, I really want to try that pizza recipe, even though I'm actually not swaying anymore ! I just wanted to add that for those doing TW and look for full nutrition breads, I can really recommend spelt bread. I found it when I was on the alkaline diet, as it's the least acidifying of the breads due to its high mineral content (particularly good for magnesium, so watch out if you don't want that). It can be a bit dry, but sometimes it can be found with dried fruits which is yummy .
    2005, swayed for boy, arrived 25/11/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Atomic!
    Fathers Day baby!

Busy Mummy of 5 now working from home: www.oz.scentsy.com.au

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Great info, I really want to try that pizza recipe, even though I'm actually not swaying anymore ! I just wanted to add that for those doing TW and look for full nutrition breads, I can really recommend spelt bread. I found it when I was on the alkaline diet, as it's the least acidifying of the breads due to its high mineral content (particularly good for magnesium, so watch out if you don't want that). It can be a bit dry, but sometimes it can be found with dried fruits which is yummy .
    Freya it's really good, we eat it once a week usually and it's so easy to make!

Thanks for the info about spelt bread, I will edit the essay.

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Atomic, this is great!

brand new. Successful girl sway. Thankyou so very much Atomic for all your wonderful advice.

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you Atomic for the links.

I have to admit I didn't even know we had low sodium bread here in Oz, so this will be a great help.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    http://www.nimblebread.co.uk/nimble_white.html

This is a bread I see here in the UK all the time. My question--would it be okay for girl sway? I've not delved into low-sodium (what exactly would be considered a low sodium amount? Or low protein, for that matter? How do I judge something meets this criteria before I eat it?)

I'm thinking I'll probably end up making my own (I have a bread machine)... but was curious.

It's funny this topic was started... I've been thinking about bread all day and what kind I'd be able to eat (and what cheeses are okay, or if an alternative cheese would be better... I know these things are tricky due to their protein and salt content...)

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, obviously I was interrupted halfway through writing it and haven't been able to start back up again, my husband began a new work schedule which is not so conducive to computer time. Had to get up at 3:30 am to get caught up today!!

Low protein means your day's tally of protein is 40 grams or less - you don't need to go overboard and get NO protein, just aim for 40 grams. Low sodium means that you are taking in only 700-1000 mg of sodium a day which is VERY challenging for people, esp. if you're trying to eat a lot of dairy because dairy has tons of sodium. So keep a tally, either mentally or by using a site such as Fitday.com to track your intake.

The Nimble Bread actually seems fairly high in salt to me, it contains .19 g of salt per slice which is the equivalent of 190 mg - that's a pretty big chunk of your alloted salt in one slice of bread. (not sure why they have sodium and salt listed as two separate ingredients??)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast