Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

How accurate is the harmony test for sex determination?

Has anyone been told the sex wrong?

Has anyone been told there baby has not downs etc but then born with a trisomy?

Thanks
    84 March 2012

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have no idea but I am interested to know. I am having my 12 week ultrasound in London and was wanting to do this test depending on what clinic they send me to! Not sure what the 12 week screening entails in London and if it's different from the US but if I can find out at 12 weeks the gender I will be happy lol

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    They send the results back to the us as there is no lab in the uk yet. So it takes 2-3 weeks. You can have it done on Harley street but only a few clinics in the uk offer it.

I have emailed the clinic and asked them if they don't get back I will phone them on Friday and update here
    84 March 2012

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A girl on here was told her baby could have an anomaly but then it turned out the baby was fine. I do think it's a very accurate test and certainly safer than any of the alternatives.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The harmony test is over 99% accurate on gender determination. It also only has a less than .1% false positive rate. Which basically means it is very hard to get a positive but be carrying a healthy baby. Which is good for the "lets not freak people out for no reason" clause. Lol.

And as far as how accurate it is for detecting the trisomies, it's highest accuracy is T21, very closely followed by T18. Both of those are 99% range (in the same study of 230 mothers, one T21 was missed, two T18 were missed...which is basically less than .5% missed diagnosis). T13 was about 8/10 detected. Although given the severity of T13, I imagine the sample study was smaller.

So for your question...you would have less than .1% chance of being told no Down's syndrome and then having a child with Down's syndrome.
    A: "Owner" of the following brood:
    -Our biggest surprise dude (L: 2009)
    -Our rainbow little man (K: 2011)
    -Our sway and pray little diva (J: 2013)
    -Our lucky charm guy (S: 2015)
    We may be done, we may come back for one more sway. Time will tell. At the moment, we are very content with our family!

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Greesemonkey, presume you are having this done privately as Harmony certainly won't be done on the NHS. 12 week scan in UK entrails bloods and a scan which will show fetal heart action, crown rump length and NT as well as looking at skull, brain, spine heart, stomach and the upper and lower extremeties for any potential abnormalities. You basically also get a background risk, dependent on your age and then an adjusted risk based on your blood results for these. Interestingly, some clinics in London that do Harmony won't tell you gender though, just chromosomal abnormality risk eg Fetal Medical Centre, whereas others will, so best to double check if you want to know gender. I know Polli had the Harmony Test at the Birth Centre in Harley Street where they do tell you gender. Good luck xx

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think GT77 did the MaterniT21 test. It came back XXX but baby is XX.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think they are basically the same test, but one gives you a y/n answer and the other gives odds.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I disagree. For anyone who is told down 21 is usually correct but not for 18 or 13 and sometimes a boy comes up for gender instead of an. Xx. Also, I heard its wrong for 18 and 13 and xxx and xxy 1 out of 10 tests. I know for a fact my hcg is off the charts I can't help but think that they thought if I'm not two in there how come my hcg is so high where is extra xx coming from. We don't know how these tests are done and how. If u r 35 and above then get a cvs or amnio .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    March 17, 2011 Mommy to my handsome son
    May 22, 2014 Mommy to my beautiful daughter

Dreams can come true!!
    Swayed for a girl using Clomid and it worked!

I wanted to thank Atomic & GD for being so supportive & guiding me via emails daily through my sway! I could of not of done it without you Atomic!! I feel like the luckiest girl in the whole wide world!! Thank you so much!!

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Disagree with what part???

The fact is that these are pretty darn new tests and we probably just can't say about levels of false neg and false pos tests. They're probably going to happen in both directions

That's not how HCG levels and XX vs XXX work. They literally were counting chromosomes in the fetal blood in your blood****** and miscounted something. Human error.

I BEG you guys not to go rushing in to get a CVS or amnio if they are not needed. These tests may not be perfect but at the least they can tell you if you even need a more invasive test. There are people on this site who lost perfectly healthy babies because they were pressured into having these invasive tests done solely because they were over 35. I would take a false positive result on a blood test any day of the week rather than lose a healthy baby.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast