Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Femara sways and now I'm scared. What gender did YOU get?

Hello everybody,
    I have one daughter whom I love beyond words. Now I am dreaming to have a baby boy to complete my family. Truth be told, I have always wanted a boy because my family is so girl heavy. I have 2 sisters, each with a girl of their own now....no boys....Nonetheless I was not disappointed when my beautiful daughter was born because she was my first baby.
    Now I am about to start TTC via IUI+Femara. That is what my doctor suggested to help me conceive. I was OK with it as there was no evidence that Femara sways in any way, unlike Clomid. So i figured I still had my 50-50 chance.
    Then just yesterday I came across a new study which showed that Femara sways PINK and it sways BIG. Among women with PCOS (who normally have more boys) those who took clomid and conceived had a boy to girl ratio of 36:41, while the ones who took Femara(letrozole) had a whooping 65 girls to 42 boys!
    http://www.nejm.org/action/showImage...313517&iid=t02

Now I am really bummed...I was hoping for at least a fair chance, a 50-50 but it looks like I am destined to have another girl. This is going to be my last baby...I so badly wanted a son, I am no longer excited about getting pregnant again.
    Has anyone heard about studies that contradict this? What did you get if you took Femara to conceive? Should I ask my doctor to give me clomid instead since it does not appear to affect the sex ratio so significantly?
    Please HELP!
    Last edited by wantblu2; July 13th, 2014 at 10:00 AM.

2. Likes Throwaway_panther liked this post
    Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a femara- IUI boy. (DS1) I would stick with femara. The clomid rates for girls here are pretty good (70ish%).
    (2009)
    (2011- IUI and femara) (2012), (8/2015) (sway opposite) 2019
    HT 2018- Feb - 12 retrieved- 0 embies made it to PGS testing
    April- 10 retrieved- 1 5AB embryo made it to testing- normal XX!!!! July FET- BFP!!! DD born 2019

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I know a friend who has a femera boy. I have no idea what the rest of her lifestyle was like, so it might have been super-boy friendly. But I know he was femera (but no IUI, just the medication).
    A: "Owner" of the following brood:
    -Our biggest surprise dude (L: 2009)
    -Our rainbow little man (K: 2011)
    -Our sway and pray little diva (J: 2013)
    -Our lucky charm guy (S: 2015)
    We may be done, we may come back for one more sway. Time will tell. At the moment, we are very content with our family!

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting, thanks for sharing. I love a hot off the presses study!

I think IUI sways blue, and what you need to take into consideration is that that was NOT as controlled a study as it seems on first glance Those ladies were given femara for SOME reason, since Clomid is generally the first line of medication. Maybe they had already taken several rounds of Clomid. Maybe they didn't respond to Clomid because their bodies were just hormonally too far out of whack. Maybe they were taking other medications like Metformin or Spirolactone which are often given to PCOS patients and both sway pink. Or on a diet (also often done with PCOS gals) Who knows? None of them had IUI and so I wouldn't even put any stock into it at all. I would do what I could via diet, lifestyle changes, and so forth and I think you'll be in with a fine chance of blue.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

6. Thanks Throwaway_panther thanked for this post
    Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I was just prescribed Femara and I'm swaying girl. My doctor said there is less of a twin rate with Femara so he wants me on that. It makes me nervous that I see lots of boys in it. Eeekk!!!

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good news-doc said I can take clomid instead!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Bumping. I am having the same concerns as OP and it's driving me crazy.

10. Likes Happymommy1987 liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    Interesting, thanks for sharing. I love a hot off the presses study!

I think IUI sways blue, and what you need to take into consideration is that that was NOT as controlled a study as it seems on first glance Those ladies were given femara for SOME reason, since Clomid is generally the first line of medication. Maybe they had already taken several rounds of Clomid. Maybe they didn't respond to Clomid because their bodies were just hormonally too far out of whack. Maybe they were taking other medications like Metformin or Spirolactone which are often given to PCOS patients and both sway pink. Or on a diet (also often done with PCOS gals) Who knows? None of them had IUI and so I wouldn't even put any stock into it at all. I would do what I could via diet, lifestyle changes, and so forth and I think you'll be in with a fine chance of blue.
    I think you guys should do what you can do to sway. I promise boys are born on Femara too all the time.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ