Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Atomic, fenugreek for short LP

I read that fenugreek can lengthen LP? I'm CD16 and will ovulate in next few days, but my LP is only 7-10 days. I took fennugreek for extra milk for awhile so have the capsules. Should I take it after I've ovulated then stop if bfp? Is there a recommended dose? I'll up the soy milk too. Should I try B6 or it can mess with the cycle too much?

3 1

due Jan 2nd 2014!!! Yay my GIRL

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    (I'm breastfeeding a 14mo)

3 1

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've never heard of fenugreek extending a short LP and I've researched OTC/herbal supps to help short LPs extensively as mine has always been short.

9 years ago I tried an herbal method that supposedly could increase breast size, consisting of high doses of fenugreek and saw palmetto in combination. I was on them for several months, 6-9 or so, and I was actively charting the entire time. The herbs had no apparent effect on my cycle in any way; my LP was its usual 8-11 days (rarely 6-7, even more rarely 12) and just as erratic as it has always been. Maybe fenugreek alone would be different but I'm extremely doubtful.

I would not recommend B6; it doesn't always or even usually help (it does nothing for me), it sways blue, and it can delay O and cause spotting. The only OTC supp that has ever lengthened my LP is Vitex, which really does the trick for me - it's the only time I've ever had 13-14 day LPs. And after just 10 days of taking it I saw days of improvement.

Is your LP short just due to BFing? Have you conceived before while BFing?
    Last edited by maidentomother; February 26th, 2015 at 11:23 PM.

My Ovulation Chart
    currently TTC, Cycle #16 since last BFP

TTC #1 - swaying pink on & off since Nov 2013 - hoping for a girl first but excited for either!

Dec 2001 - May 2006 : 5 early abortions of healthy singletons (3 medical @5w, 2 surgical @8w, last 4 pregnancies conceived with late DH, all conceived while TTA/on birth control)
    Mar 2012: miscarried B/G twins @5w (conceived 2 cycles after remověng Paraguard copper IUD while NTNP), one twin was ovarian ectopic

Me: 34, widowed, late O + short LP, normal-good hormone levels excepting undetectable testosterone, seeking a known sperm donor/life partner
    My sway: vegetarian LE for over 28w, skipping breakfast, fibre (ground psyllium husks) with/before/between meals, physically inactive, drama avoidance, ocassional minimal YesBaby lube as needed, alternate cycles on low dose Clomid, double shot lattes (with meals)
    Past sway tactics I've dropped (in order): Vitex, Sudafed, antihistamines, intermittent fasting, one attempt per cycle at positive OPK, one attempt in fertile period

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No I haven't concieved while bfing. I took vitex but only for 10 days. I'm going to start nightweaning so maybe will just see how things go in the months to come. Thanks for your response!!

3 1

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it's the BFing then. Good luck with nightweaning!

My Ovulation Chart
    currently TTC, Cycle #16 since last BFP

TTC #1 - swaying pink on & off since Nov 2013 - hoping for a girl first but excited for either!

Dec 2001 - May 2006 : 5 early abortions of healthy singletons (3 medical @5w, 2 surgical @8w, last 4 pregnancies conceived with late DH, all conceived while TTA/on birth control)
    Mar 2012: miscarried B/G twins @5w (conceived 2 cycles after remověng Paraguard copper IUD while NTNP), one twin was ovarian ectopic

Me: 34, widowed, late O + short LP, normal-good hormone levels excepting undetectable testosterone, seeking a known sperm donor/life partner
    My sway: vegetarian LE for over 28w, skipping breakfast, fibre (ground psyllium husks) with/before/between meals, physically inactive, drama avoidance, ocassional minimal YesBaby lube as needed, alternate cycles on low dose Clomid, double shot lattes (with meals)
    Past sway tactics I've dropped (in order): Vitex, Sudafed, antihistamines, intermittent fasting, one attempt per cycle at positive OPK, one attempt in fertile period

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not an expert but I've used fenugreek to help lactation before, and from what I recall fenugreek acts to increase prolactin and thus increase milk production.

So I would think that if anything, fenugreek would interfere with ovulation since prolactin impedes ovulation, which would more likely make your LP worse, not better.

It's REALLY likely your LP issues are from bf'ing itself.

My personal experience with B6 and Vitex to help my LP (it's always been absolute crap, average 10-11 days at max 12) was, neither really helped. B6 did nothing and Vitex made things worse. So everyone is different. You need to be careful with the herbs too, as if they make things wonkier it can take months for your body to rebalance, so when bf'ing is likely your issue I wouldn't be throwing herbs on top to make things even more confusing for your body.
    Me (38) and DH (38)

SAHM military momma to DS1 (2004), DS2 (who's all boy but loves to dance, though not in a tutu!) (2006), DS3 (2009), and our rainbow baby girl DD1 (2017)

early m/c Jan 2013

Cycle #1 @ HRC (Oct 2014) - 6 retrieved, 4 mature, 3 fertilized and biopsied. 1XX and 1XY abnormal. 1XX no DNA found, rebiopsied and found normal, frozen.
    FET attempt #1 (Nov 2014) - cancelled due to functional cyst. FET attempt #2 (Jan 30, 2015) - NT. Remaining embie failed to thaw.

May 2015 - started infertility treatments at OFC. Femara 2.5mg
    July 2015 - BFP after second round of Femara. Aug 4 2015 - 6w4d
    Dec 21 2015 - mmc 7w1d

Apr 2016 - IVF Cycle #2. Converted to IUI because of uneven response and leading follicles.
    Apr 19, 2016 - IUI with 3 mature follicles (2 right, 1 left), post wash: 17mil, 94% motility and 89% rapid motility. BFN.

June 3, 2016 - 5mg Femara cycle. 5w.
    Sep 1, 2016 - 5mg Femara cycle. 8w.

Our rainbow baby girl arrived on Mon Aug 28, 2017 - "After every storm comes a rainbow". We are so thankful and grateful for every moment.

7. Likes atomic sagebrush, katewantsagirl liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you wait to take it till after you ovulate, it's too late. In order for any of these things to help, you need to be on them consecutively for awhile.

I suspect your short LP is prob. from breastfeeding and is going to get better on its own anyway. In my experience, everything that supposedly lengthens LP works in 3 months, and then if you'd done nothing, your LP would be longer (or you'd have gotten pregnant) within a quarter of a year. I would not have you take either of them.

I think B6 sways blue and 8 out of 10 times causes more trouble than it was worth.

Agree with Maiden that vitex works better anyway. I have never heard of fenugreek used in this way.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

9. Likes katewantsagirl liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have also used fenugreek while nursing and no change in cycle while doing so.
    Prayed and swayed Boy . . .
    Blessed with a beautiful Girl
    Thank You God

"Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed. Each of us is loved. Each of us is necessary."

Pope Benedict XVI

11. Likes atomic sagebrush, katewantsagirl liked this post
    Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I read about the fennugreek in your essay. Number 3image.jpg

3 1

13. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think I wrote that 4 years ago. It happens sometimes when you have written nearly 50,000 posts. Sorry for confusion.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

15. Likes katewantsagirl liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast