Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Did a little experiment of my own...take the results with a grain of salt....

I thought I would put this out there. I have been breeding rats since 2011. They make wonderful pets. I do not breed them for snake food! I know a lot of people find them gross, that is fine, but I decided to switch up their diets to see if LE and HE diets effect them at all. Take this all with a grain of salt...obviously rats and humans are quite different.

Since their cycles are every 5 days or so I decided to put them on each diet for 15 days (the equivalent of 3 months for us). They average 8 babies each time. I only breed a female once at 3 months old. I only breed once every three months.

I started this little experiment 10 months ago. I decided to do the LE diet first since I started the LE diet around that time as well. Just the female got a low fat low protein diet- I gave her a set limit of food each morning and night. She didn't necessarily get a lower calorie diet, but she got a set amount in the morning and didn't get more until the evening. I didn't worry much about vitamins since I was concerned about the babies health. None of my rats get a supplement, they all get vitamins from their diets, so I didn't mess with it.

Her litter was only 5 pups, which is a bit less than what I am used to (once in awhile we get 7 or 9, but never 5). She had 4 females and 1 male...which got me a little excited since it seemed the diet had worked. Most of the time my rats have 5 males and 3 female pups, sometimes we get lucky and get four females and four males. So my conclusion was that diet does play a pretty important role.

Three months later I did another experiment with a female. I did the HE diet this time. The female got a high protein and high fat diet. I gave her the food in a dispenser so she had unlimited food and could eat all day and night. Once again vitamins didn't really get messed with since they were all food based (but I guess she did get more, since she ate more).

Her litter was 13 pups! That rarely happens, and I had to supplement some of the babies since she couldn't feed them all like she should have. She had 10 boys and 3 girls. I think the HE diet worked for her...since she got 75% boys instead of the usual 60%. So once again I really think diet is quite important.

I did another "experiment" in February using the LE diet again, just to see if it was just a fluke, or if there was something to it (I'll be doing another HE diet soon). Did everything the same, diet for 15 days, low fat, low protein and set times for eating.

The female had 4 babies this time and this time she had all girls (I was very pleasantly surprised!). She had half the usual amount of babies, so I'm concluding she was less fertile/didn't produce as many good eggs?

So currently in my little experiment the LE diet has been successful 89% and the HE diet has been successful 75%. I'm sure that number will go up with the next breeding. I'm impressed with how well this little experiment of mine has worked. Maybe it was just luck, but this has really opened my eyes to how important diet is! I also didn't realize how important fat and protein was for fertility...I still can't believe how diverse the number of pups were!
    Last edited by Kitty0911; April 21st, 2015 at 02:41 PM. Reason: miss-typed

2011 Failed IG sway

2014 Failed GD sway

August 2015

Whoops DUE February 28th 2017 with a BOY! Didn't get a chance to sway for another girl, but this little guy really wanted to be apart of our family. We love him already!

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's actually very cool. Thanks for posting.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's cool! Thanks for sharing that.

There's a book I recommend to anyone who wants to understand female health better called "Woman: An Intimate Geography." Anyway, it discusses an experiment done on rats that was very similar to yours but on a larger scale. All this seems to confirm that LE really does sway pink.

4. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Likes XXforhubby, smllibra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow! That is so awesome! I have always felt that diet, type of exercise, and number of attempts was the essentials to swaying. The amount of fat and protein though was very insightful!

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess I should also add that the females did not have an exercise wheel during the 15 days of diet. I wanted to keep it the same for all, and since some will use the wheel more than others, I didn't want that to possibly effect the results (even though they all still did sprints back and forth in their cages). All the females had what I would consider one attempt. I don't like the have the males and females together for the usual 4-5 days because the males can get mean. They got 24 hours

2011 Failed IG sway

2014 Failed GD sway

August 2015

Whoops DUE February 28th 2017 with a BOY! Didn't get a chance to sway for another girl, but this little guy really wanted to be apart of our family. We love him already!

8. Thanks essnce629, Throwaway_panther thanked for this post
    Likes atomic sagebrush, maidentomother liked this post
    Dislikes Princess Mom disliked this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    U did a lot of work with those rats! Good for u and nice results!

Polpectomy/Hysteroscopy complete (2 polyps)
    June ER @ HRC
    30 retrieved, 24 mature, 23 fertilized, 17 to biopsy, 5 normal, 2xy!, 1 transferred, 1 frozen
    HB seen at 6w4d!

I can't believe I did this!

My HT son
    My family is complete. Baby fever resolved!

10. Likes Kitty0911 liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    thank you! Somewhere out there is another study that found the exact same thing, the litter size changed and the gender ratio altered!

You don't happen to have any monkeys hanging around, now, do you?

Thanks so much for posting (and I strongly urge you to please keep us posted even if results do NOT continue to go "our" way.)
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    also would love to know if same daddy or different!
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

13. Likes Dreamofpink, smllibra liked this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This is brilliant thanks for posting!
    gorgeous DS1

gorgeous DS2

Praying and hopefully soon swaying for a precious pink princess to further complete our family

15. Likes atomic sagebrush, 1282 liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow! So dramatically different!
    2009 2011 7/2016

Due in October with our baby girl!

17. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast