Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ovarian cysts and Clomid

Need some info and thoughts on ovarian cysts and Clomid.

So I had a miscarriage and D&C in March @ 8 weeks. Just went through RPL testing with an RE as it's my 3rd straight loss. At my sonohysterogram to check for polyps/fibroids/scar tissue, the RE told me I had a pretty large cyst on my right ovary. I didn't ask how big it is but it looked pretty big on the screen, especially compared to my left ovary. She said it was most likely leftover from the pregnancy/miscarriage - like an egg tried to develop and release while I was pregnant but couldn't and thus turned into a cyst. Or it could have been from the Clomid (50 mg) that I took in January - the cycle I got pregnant on. But I'm wondering if it wouldn't have been the Clomid since I had had a couple of ultrasounds during the pregnancy and even after the D&C and no one said anything about a cyst (and I remember them checking my ovaries while pregnant and they looked normal I think). Would that mean it may have developed after the miscarriage?

Anyways RE didn't seem worried and said 99% of the time it will resolve on it's own. She has OK-d me using Clomid again when we start to TTC again but I have to have the cyst rechecked before we start the Clomid again. I'm assuming if it's still there or hasn't shrunk she will not give it to me until it is gone? Also if the cyst was because of Clomid, is that going to make it a lot more risky to keep taking Clomid, even 50 mg? The January cycle was my third cycle on it. I think my body is responding pretty strongly to it - I got pregnant 2 out of the 3 cycles I was on it (both miscarriages) and in a follicle ultrasound on the 2nd cycle, I had two very large follicles (25 & 27 mm) around ovulation time. But both my OBGYN and RE feel like it's helping and so far are both OK with me continuing it. Just stressing a bit now about this cyst issue. But maybe the cyst is more from my miscarriage and pregnancy than it is from the Clomid?

For what it's worth I don't have any pain from the cyst - didn't have any idea it was there until the ultrasound. And I believe I am about to ovulate as I had a strong +OPK yesterday so I don't think it's interfering with that either.
    2013 2015
    Three babies
    2019 My rainbow boy/girl twins born January 2019 - thank you Atomic and Gender Dreaming!!

https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/6b9cac

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree it was not from the Clomid, because they would have seen it. You have had plenty of scans during pregnancy and if it's that noticeable someone would have seen it. I would not give it another thought right now. I suspect that it was your corpus luteum from the pregnancy and it's just still filled with fluid and junk that hasn't resolved yet.

If the cyst is causing any trouble you won't ovulate. And if you do ovulate, then it isn't causing any trouble. (kristin logic, LOL) I suspect that since you're getting negative pregnancy tests, it's no longer making the hormones that suppress ovulation, it's just that it hasn't worked itself out yet and drained off the fluid that had formed inside it.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Atomic - Ok thanks!! That's reassuring to hear that you don't think it was the Clomid, as I'd rather it be just something from the pregnancy/miscarriage. Yea I really think they would have pointed it out if it was there before my D&C. I will try not to worry about it (which is pretty easy to do since it's not bothering me anyways!). I read something about not exercising when you have a large cyst. I've only been managing about 3-4 days a week of exercise the past few weeks and I've cut down on the intensity a bit anyways but is it ok to still keep exercising (fast walking and exercise bike) before I have it checked again?

Do you know if the cyst has to be completely gone before they will prescribe Clomid again, or just smaller? I also read that it could take a couple of months for these cysts to resolve, especially if they are big.
    Last edited by ABC.2606; April 17th, 2018 at 05:34 PM.
    2013 2015
    Three babies
    2019 My rainbow boy/girl twins born January 2019 - thank you Atomic and Gender Dreaming!!

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes when I consulted the oracle I saw a lot of posts from women who had the same finding after a loss and I think they're right that it's probably something related to the pregnancy.

I do think you should call and ask just to make sure, but I would continue with walking and exercise bike as neither are super vigorous. Cysts rupture all the time from doing nothing at all and so avoiding exercise may not prevent that anyway.
    But the doctors will know better than me anyway. The nice thing is, if it's causing trouble, it will hurt, and you will know then to stop doing what you're doing. So as long as it is not bothering you, if you get the ok, I would personally continue exercising.

The unsatisfying answer to your q about Clomid is that it depends. They will be watching for changes that tell them what the true nature of the cyst is and if it's shrinking and still seems full of fluid I suspect they will let you do the Clomid. But if it is not shrinking and seems more solid or problematic in some other way they may have you hold off.

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok thanks atomic!!! I'll call my RE and ask about exercise. And hope that it is shrinking/ will shrink soon!!! I still haven't ovulated (I don't think) and am on CD18. I never ovulate later than CD15 so maybe it is screwing with my hormones - or they are just screwed up still from the m/c, as the D&C was only 5.5 weeks ago. Who knows.

Yea when I googled it there are a lot of posts on pregnancy forums about cysts after miscarriages. Weird!
    2013 2015
    Three babies

6. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey again atomic! So AF started today and I've scheduled an ultrasound on Thursday to see if the cyst is gone and if I can get Clomid this cycle (by the way I did get the OK to exercise - nurse wasn't worried about that at all). They seem to think I'll be fine to start Clomid again but I'm guessing if the cyst is still really big they will say no - but I really don't know that.

I have been back on the diet for about 6 weeks (although not as strict as before)& exercising but only 3-5 times per week. I'll be on it another 2 weeks (will be more strict & with more exercise) before ovulating this cycle. So it would be about 8 weeks back on it if we got pregnant this cycle. This is after my 3rd m/c in March and I started the diet & exercise over 14 months ago (with 3 early m/cs, so a few weeks "off" with each of those). I was off of it for about 6 weeks w/ my last BFP.

So, I'll have 8 weeks back on the diet, Clomid, we will only do 1 attempt at +OPK (we got pregnant with this in January), and I'm planning on J&D after a few minutes this cycle. Doing coffee and alcohol as well (the EASIEST elements of swaying LOL!). And I think it will be the 2nd ovulation after the m/c (I don't think I ovulated before AF came after the D&C). DH has been doing OLE for maybe the past month or so.

Do you think this sets us up for a "good" sway, even with not being back on the diet 12 weeks? I know in a PM you said you didn't think I had to be back on it the full 12 weeks but I'm just wanting to see what you think now that we're at this stage.

Also - I just had a 30 day cycle which is longer than normal - my cycles are ALWAYS 24-25 days long and I normally ovulate day 14-15. This cycle I ovulated around day 18, which is really late for me. I'm guessing that was due to the miscarriage and the big cyst on my right ovary screwing things up with my hormones. Do you think all these "disturbances" in my last cycle might also help my sway, or would they be more likely to sway boy? It definitely seems like my body has had a little more difficulty sorting things out after this last miscarriage.

Thanks!!!
    2013 2015
    Three babies

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    And just as a note.... If they say no to Clomid this cycle because of the cyst, we will wait and not try this cycle. So, if we do have to wait until next cycle I will have had 12 weeks back on diet by that point
    2013 2015
    Three babies

9. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, I think wonky cycles tend overall to sway pink...but of course that is never a guarantee!!

FXFXFX for good news on Thursday!

11. Likes ABC.2606 liked this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok thanks. So do you think with my overall "picture" that this is a good cycle to go ahead and TTC a girl? No guarantees of course just want to know if you think we have good/enough factors working in our favor. My biggest concern right now is time back on diet. But I feel so depleted physically/mentally/emotionally from the past year that I feel well, hell with it, let's just try. And DH is really ready to try again.
    2013 2015
    Three babies

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, I want you to go ahead and TTC.

14. Thanks ABC.2606 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast