Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

folate, miscarriage, help!

Hello! I’m not so new to this, but i wasn’t sure where else to post. I was swaying pink for 16 weeks, got pregnant, and had to have a D&C at 8 weeks.

I’ve giving myself a week or two (it’s Christmas anyway) to get back on the skipping breakfast, no snacking, Le diet, and decided (with much hesitation) that I won’t do exercise this time (I did before my BFP for about 10 weeks) because I likely will need a sinus surgery in this silver lining timeframe if it fits in before I get pregnant again (waiting til my period to start OPKs and either once at Positive or E4D.) Trying to do a gentler away and taking out anything that really doesn’t fit or feel right.

Anyway, any suggestions on the above are welcome. My main question is, since I can’t help but feel like it’s something I did... I’m stopping prenatal (and also stopping probiotics I was taking) and just doing folate until BFP ... I’m so confused on the folate. I keep researching here and google and I’m just confused. I was taking 1,000 mcg folate (as metafolin) once a day and when I got my BFP I switched totally to prenatal which has 800 mcg folic acid. Then after my miscarriage I thought maybe that was terrible, that switch, and so I read about taking more for post miscarriage and also gradually cutting back to what’s in prenatal at 12 weeks.

So- now- I got another bottle that I thought was 800 mcg folate so I could more easily switch and subtract when I needed to. But it came in the mail from amazon and it’s Solgar, folate 1,333 mcg DFE (metafolin 800 mcg). And that’s where I’m now more confused. What does that even mean- should I take just one a day or two? And, whenever I next get a BFP, do i continue taking that amount on top of my added prenatal and then cut back at 12 weeks? How do I do that with a pill that’s 1,333 mcg folate (800 mcg metafolin) and maybe that I’m only taking once a day? Just by once every other day?

Any help appreciated! Thanks!

2. Thanks gafan thanked for this post
    Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If it helps or matters, I still have the 1,000 mcg folate (as metafolin) bottle and it says (body ready form), and then the newer bottle with the funky 1,333 mcg folate (800 metafolin) confusion says (heart health) on it.

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't have advice to offer but I am taking the Solgar Folate (metafolin) but mine just say 800 mcg. I buy them at my grocery store but they look like this: https://www.amazon.com/Solgar-Folate...%2Bfolate&th=1 I have been taking 2 a day on most days (so 1600 mcg) and have been swaying for 8 months and have had 2 early miscarriages (2nd one was just this past weekend). Because of this 2nd m/c, Atomic has advised me to bump it up to 3 a day - which would be a total of 2400 mcg per day. My understanding is that folate is a safer/better form than folic acid so it's safer to take higher amounts of folate. I don't know about what to do after BFP though so I'd be interested in knowing what Atomic thinks about that. This last pregnancy I just m/c I switched to a prenatal a few days after BFP (which had 800 mcg of folic acid) and stopped the folate. But I'm sure that's not what caused the m/c (blood work showed an impending m/c before I switched to the prenatal).
    2013 2015
    Three babies
    2019 My rainbow boy/girl twins born January 2019 - thank you Atomic and Gender Dreaming!!

https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/6b9cac

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If it helps or matters, I still have the 1,000 mcg folate (as metafolin) bottle and it says (body ready form), and then the newer bottle with the funky 1,333 mcg folate (800 metafolin) confusion says (heart health) on it.

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry i didn’t mean to repost that last bit!

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ABC.2606 View Post
    I don't have advice to offer but I am taking the Solgar Folate (metafolin) but mine just say 800 mcg. I buy them at my grocery store but they look like this: https://www.amazon.com/Solgar-Folate...%2Bfolate&th=1 I have been taking 2 a day on most days (so 1600 mcg) and have been swaying for 8 months and have had 2 early miscarriages (2nd one was just this past weekend). Because of this 2nd m/c, Atomic has advised me to bump it up to 3 a day - which would be a total of 2400 mcg per day. My understanding is that folate is a safer/better form than folic acid so it's safer to take higher amounts of folate. I don't know about what to do after BFP though so I'd be interested in knowing what Atomic thinks about that. This last pregnancy I just m/c I switched to a prenatal a few days after BFP (which had 800 mcg of folic acid) and stopped the folate. But I'm sure that's not what caused the m/c (blood work showed an impending m/c before I switched to the prenatal).
    Thank you so much ABC this is so helpful. I have two boys born in 2013 and 2015 as well! I’m sorry to hear you also just had a m/c in December as i did. But nice to be in the same boat as someone.

That is the exact same folate I ordered from amazon. But for some reason when it came, it said that whole weird 1,333 mcg folate DFE (800 mcg metafolin) on the bottle and not just 800 mcg folate as metafolin like I expected it to. So I’m assuming it must be the same thing and maybe I should take 3 a day too? I just don’t know what the whole 1,333 thing versus 800 means. And I’m glad to know it wasn’t the switch that “caused” m/c. I know it’s easy to find something to make sense of it but I also know that mostly, it’s just chromosonally not right from the start. Thank you.

8. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm that is odd. With Amazon it seems like sometimes the packaging of stuff doesn't always match the photos. If it says 800 mcg of folate somewhere on the bottle I'm guessing it's the same stuff.

I'd let atomic advise you on whether to take 3 per day but in my case after two m/c's that were *probably* chromosome-related she thinks it's worth it.

Yea for 2013 & 2015 babies! Do your little guys get along well? Mine are best friends & they also fight nonstop

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    2013 2015
    Three babies
    2019 My rainbow boy/girl twins born January 2019 - thank you Atomic and Gender Dreaming!!

https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/6b9cac

10. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    DFE just means dietary folate equivalent so it's basically saying that the 1,333 mcg of food folate is the same as 800 mcg of synthetic folate (from a vitamin). When I swayed I had a few miscarriages so Atomic had me take 2000 mcg folate then upon BFP took one folate pill (1,000 mcg) plus my prenatal (1,000mcg folate). After hitting 12 weeks I weaned off it slowly until I was down to one folate pill a week then dropped it and just took a prenatal.
    '12
    '14
    '15 '15 '16
    🌈 '17 (LE sway opposite)

Dreaming of pink through HT or adoption
    FET January 2021: 1 HBAA XX - BFN
    FET #2 August 2022: 1 HBAA XX - BFP!

12. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with ABC to wait and see what Atomic says but she has most people who have had losses take 1600-2000 mcg folate so you'll probably end up at least doubling the amount you're taking now.
    '12
    '14
    '15 '15 '16
    🌈 '17 (LE sway opposite)

Dreaming of pink through HT or adoption
    FET January 2021: 1 HBAA XX - BFN
    FET #2 August 2022: 1 HBAA XX - BFP!

14. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmom View Post
    I agree with ABC to wait and see what Atomic says but she has most people who have had losses take 1600-2000 mcg folate so you'll probably end up at least doubling the amount you're taking now.
    Thank you so much for that explanation. It’s making more sense now! There seems to be several mcg amounts you can get the pills in so it’s a lot to think about trying to align how many to take and how easy it’ll be to scale back eventually. Thank you again!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast