Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Low carb diet for morning sickness

Since I found out I was pregnant I have been eating a lower carb diet. The carbs I do eat are mostly from fruits, veggies, and dairy. I have been eating a lot of eggs and salads. Anyway, it seems to be helping tremendously with MS. Usually by now I would be so sick that I wouldn't want to do anything and can barely take care of my kids. Following a low carb diet I still feel crappy (nauseous) however, I don't feel like this baby is going to kill me or that I would rather die. I can still be a normal person and keep up with the kids, clean the house, etc. At first I wasn't sure it was working but I had a couple of bad things to eat one night and go so sick that I knew it was working. Now I am super strict with it and (knock on wood) I haven't felt like I am going to puke since.

With my last PG I ate all kinds of crackers, bagels, soda, etc. and although they would make me feel better at the time, later I would feel even worse. I was probably borderline hyperemesis with DS2. There were several days I couldn't even keep water down and I would beg DH for fluids until he would give in and put in an IV. I gained 50 and 80 lbs with my PG (not sure how you puke that much and gain that much weight) probably because I was constantly stuffing my face with anything that would make the nausea tolerable.

Just wondering if there is anyone else out there that suffers from bad MS that has tried this and found it to work? There seems to be a fair amount out there on the internet about it so if there are other people out there who suffer like me go check it out, so far it has really worked for me!!
    Last edited by WantingPink; January 13th, 2013 at 12:17 PM.
    Love my (2006) (2009) (2013) (2014)

THANK YOU GENDER DREAMING!!!!!

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I also suffer like hell from ms which starts from as early as 2nd week. Surely gonna give your idea a try to help me get through the day.Did you suffer so much in your earlier two pregnancies also? I am ready to try anything to stay out of the weird smells that make me go like puking but usually doesn't come...far worse than actually puking...though a guess..

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh this post gives me hope. I suffer bad to and end up waying less at full term than to start with!
    Hoping for a pink rainbow!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I usually start getting sick around 4 weeks and it lasts until 7 months. This time I did start feeling sick a couple of days around 2 weeks. With my DS2 I would puke about 2-3 times a day and when I wasn't puking I wanted to. I became completely nonfunctional at work and home. The only time I felt relief was when I would eat buttermilk biscuits with honey. I had to eat about 4 of them every morning and again at night. So far (knock on wood) I haven't puked yet!!

I guess there is an actual diet out there somewhere although I haven't yet got my hands on it but I can tell you what I eat in a typical day...

------

For breakfast I have two eggs scrambled with cheese and a small piece of fruit (not bananas or anything starchy, usually 1/2 an apple, 1/2 pear, 1/2 orange, blueberries, strawberries, etc.

For lunch I will have a large salad (romaine lettuce and spinach) with cheese, ham or egg, and ranch dressing. May or may not have another small piece of fruit.

Snack: bacon, ham, chicken, cheese, small piece of fruit, nuts, goats milk yogurt sweetened with maple syrup or fruit.

Dinner: beef stew (no potatoes or carrots), salad or smoothie. My smoothies are coconut milk, spinach, kale, parsley, cabbage, 1/2 cup blueberries.

Late night: I eat some chicken or ham right before I go to bed. I find that helps in the morning a lot.

Note: I tried to eat a yam one night thinking that it would be better than potatoes and it made me sick. Almost puked that night. Also, the ham and bacon I eat is nitrate/nitrite free. All my chicken is organic and the beef is organic and 100% grass fed. The cheese isn't raw and not soft cheeses.
    -------

So there isn't a lot of variety however, it has been very easy for me to stick to this because I feel so much better. When I see something like crackers, cookies, candy, all I see is vomit so I really don't even want those things. I will let you know if I come across the "official" diet.
    Last edited by WantingPink; January 14th, 2013 at 10:40 AM.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So there are two blogs out there that talk about this that I have found to be useful are:

The Whining Puker: Low Carb Diet - Now for Morning Sickness Prevention?

and

High Carb Diets Can Cause Morning Sickness | The Primal Parent

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    is white rice a high carb?
    DD1 DD2 We tried out luck for a but the universe has given us 3 of a kind. Thats a win!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Elements View Post
    is white rice a high carb?
    Yes... for sure. I can't eat eat or I will get sick. I can eat about 1/4 cup (very small amount) of brown rice at the most. I have to eat it with something high in protein and fat also. So I will mix 1/4 cup rice with smashed avocado, mix in chicken and eat that on a lettuce wrap with some hot sauce. Baby likes that

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    would you be able to tell me what you are eating for breakfast/morning tea etc? Im struggling so bad. fruit is helping but i get hungry again and feel ill half hour later. its just not enough.
    DD1 DD2 We tried out luck for a but the universe has given us 3 of a kind. Thats a win!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Elements View Post
    would you be able to tell me what you are eating for breakfast/morning tea etc? Im struggling so bad. fruit is helping but i get hungry again and feel ill half hour later. its just not enough.
    Right now for breakfast I am eating 2-3 scrambled eggs with cheese and 1/2 a piece of fruit. The fruit that seems to agree with me the most is apples. If I eat around 7 I will have to have a snack around 10-11 which is usually a couple pieces of bacon or some ham or chicken or some cheese. Then around 1 or 2 I will have a large salad with some sort of protein (egg, meat, etc.), cheese, romaine lettuce, spinach, and a low sugar salad dressing (right now ranch is agreeing with me the most).

The key to me not getting hungry is the fat and the protein... more the protein than the fat but they both help.

Does that give you some ideas? What are you eating for breakfast?

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mine is just starting up. For all 3 of my pg I had ms from about week 7 to week 14. I read somewhere that if you are sensitive to changes in blood sugar you are more prone to having ms. This is true for me. So I can see why a low crb diet would help because it keeps your blood sugar from spiking and dropping.
    8/2013

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast