Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

umbilical cord around the neck in ultrasound

Went for a 4d scan the other day and the tec told me that the cord is wrapped around the neck. Is it common that it unwrap it self? The tec told me that if it doesnt it has to be c section. Im only 28 weeks pregnant so it still a big chance that he will detangle himself , isnt there? Is it any risk for the baby in the belly or its only in the delivery? ( the doctor told me that the risk could be in the delivery but I just want to make sure)

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The cord being around the neck or a arm or leg is fairly common. The only risk is if it pulls tight during delivery it can make it a bit harder to get the baby out and occasionally can cut off babies blood supply a bit more than usual during contractions can cause fetal distress if baby doesn't cope.

If it is tight around the neck at delivery, they may have to cut it before the body is delivered or 'flip' the baby as it comes out, neither of which will hurt the baby.

It may or may not unwind depending on how the baby moves over the next 12 weeks but I wouldn't worry about it and certainly wouldn't do a C/S for it unless the baby showed signs of distress or issues in labour

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you so much for your answer!

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi - not sure where you are but where I live you get 2 scans, 12wks and 20wks. You only get more later if there ~may~ be a problem (bleeding, suspected early labour, bump too big/small etc)...so I never had any scans after 20 wks - but all 5 of my kids were born with the cords around the neck and no-one in the delivery room even batted an eyelid, just "pant for a sec will we unwrap the cord" and pop! My second born had a"true knot" in his cord, but was still 100% ok x

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This worries me too, especially because DS2 also had a knot on his cord when he was delivered. The midwife said "this is a very lucky baby" in a sense that if it's gotten any tighter, he could have died. I had a scan with him at 34 weeks to check his size, but they didn't see it.
    and finally my ht !!!

Feb 2012 HRC, cycle cancelled because of a cyst couldn't start stims
    Aug 2012 HRC, 24 retrieved, 18 fertilised, 13 to GSN. Only 1 normal XY
    OMG - 1 XX self corrected!
    13December - FET transferred my DD

Thank you Dr Potter for making my dream come true!

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is scary!! I think you should try to keep at the front of your mind how rare the true knots are....I was only told about his knot about an hour after he was born as the midwife asked if she could bring in some students doctors and midwives to look at it!! I honestly think you'll be fine, as someone already mentioned - unless baby gets distressed (and you're not at the point of of pushing) you won't need a CS - but if you do, it's best for baby and you'll know that by doing it that way will bring baby safely into the world xx Best of luck and congrats on your pink bump (you lucky thing you) xx

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The worry about cords around the neck is now believed to be largely overblown. 2 of my 5 had the cord round the neck, one had an unusually short cord which is actually considered more dangerous than the cord round the neck is. All three born just fine.

I just came across an article yesterday about this issue and thought it was very reassuring, you may want to take a gander at it Nuchal Cords: the perfect scapegoat | MidwifeThinking
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Both my babies had a cord around their neck when they were born. My oldest just had it wrapped around once, but my youngest it was wrapped around three times. They were both born just fine.

2011 Failed IG sway

2014 Failed GD sway

August 2015

Whoops DUE February 28th 2017 with a BOY! Didn't get a chance to sway for another girl, but this little guy really wanted to be apart of our family. We love him already!

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you all! Im going to a private clinic so I will do a few more ultrasounds before the delivery. I sounded weird to me that they do c section for that reason (i mean a lot of babies are born with the cord like that) but i am no expert and with my dd I never had that problem.

The thought of c section kind of scares me too. I am scared of the feeling that you cant move (during the surgery) and I am afraid i would feel panic. But on the other hand I had a kind of long and super painful delivery with my dd so im scared of that too:-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would speak to your OB or midwife and let them know you don't want a C section, if they did not have 4d ultrasounds you would not know if it was there.

Make sure in labour they monitor you with the moniter belt and this will tell you if the baby is in distress at any time, then if need be a C section can be done.

I had an emergency C section for ds1 as he too had a true knot, his was tightening and my OB said he would not be here without the C section as it was already quite tight. The monitoring belt saved his life.

Ds2 had cord around the next but we had an elective C (as we had already had one) and he said it would of only been a 50:50 chance of a C section had we decided to go natural.
    13 years 11 years 6 years & our HT miracle 2 years

6 IVF Cycles(3 SART & 3 Genea), 4 FET cycles, 4 transfers, 3 Chemicals.

Sep 11 2012: Genea, FET, 1 day 5, CGH HB transferred.
    4dp5dt POAS BFP, 9dp5dt 67, 11 dp5dt 183, 17dp5dt 3832
    Full Cycle Details here Cycle Summary

Finally our beautiful baby girl was born 20th May, 2013

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast