Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Confused Pregnancy and medications

I *think* exlax is a no-no, right? SO what about senekot, or the like? Also, I cant sleep worth a darn....can I take unisom?
    18132: @ 8wks

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Exlax and senokot both contain senna, which is category C. Try colace, fiber supplements, and a whole avocado daily (fat + fiber work beautifully for constipation).

Unisom & Benadryl are both okay for insomnia. If they don't cut it, you can ask your dr about prescribing Ambien - it's considered borderline safe in pregnancy, and the strongest possible sleep aid that's reasonably safe. Research it and see how you feel about taking it, if necessary.
    Last edited by maidentomother; September 1st, 2014 at 09:54 PM.

My Ovulation Chart
    currently TTC, Cycle #16 since last BFP

TTC #1 - swaying pink on & off since Nov 2013 - hoping for a girl first but excited for either!

Dec 2001 - May 2006 : 5 early abortions of healthy singletons (3 medical @5w, 2 surgical @8w, last 4 pregnancies conceived with late DH, all conceived while TTA/on birth control)
    Mar 2012: miscarried B/G twins @5w (conceived 2 cycles after remověng Paraguard copper IUD while NTNP), one twin was ovarian ectopic

Me: 34, widowed, late O + short LP, normal-good hormone levels excepting undetectable testosterone, seeking a known sperm donor/life partner
    My sway: vegetarian LE for over 28w, skipping breakfast, fibre (ground psyllium husks) with/before/between meals, physically inactive, drama avoidance, ocassional minimal YesBaby lube as needed, alternate cycles on low dose Clomid, double shot lattes (with meals)
    Past sway tactics I've dropped (in order): Vitex, Sudafed, antihistamines, intermittent fasting, one attempt per cycle at positive OPK, one attempt in fertile period

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I used Fybogel, just make sure you keep up your fluid intake or it could cause problems

18/5/13 (4+5 wks) 27/8/13 (4+6 wks)
    Jamie (12/6/14)

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh, yes, lots of water helps with constipation too, but you probably know that. Miralax is category C but some drs advise it for pregnancy and it IS very effective; I'd recommend you discuss it with your dr as a last resort.

Strangely enough I find small amounts of caffeine early in the am help me crash at night. So you could try that,, if you're comfortable with low dose caffeine while pregnant. A turkey sandwich bedtime snack can give you the tryptophan thanksgiving sedative effect.
    Last edited by maidentomother; September 1st, 2014 at 10:06 PM.

My Ovulation Chart

TTC #1 - swaying pink on & off since Nov 2013 - hoping for a girl first but excited for either!

Dec 2001 - May 2006 : 5 early abortions of healthy singletons (3 medical @5w, 2 surgical @8w, last 4 pregnancies conceived with late DH, all conceived while TTA/on birth control)
    Mar 2012: miscarried B/G twins @5w (conceived 2 cycles after remověng Paraguard copper IUD while NTNP), one twin was ovarian ectopic

Me: 34, widowed, late O + short LP, normal-good hormone levels excepting undetectable testosterone, seeking a known sperm donor/life partner
    My sway: vegetarian LE for over 28w, skipping breakfast, fibre (ground psyllium husks) with/before/between meals, physically inactive, drama avoidance, ocassional minimal YesBaby lube as needed, alternate cycles on low dose Clomid, double shot lattes (with meals)
    Past sway tactics I've dropped (in order): Vitex, Sudafed, antihistamines, intermittent fasting, one attempt per cycle at positive OPK, one attempt in fertile period

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you, ladies! Appreciate your help!

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Agree with other suggestions and also want to mention "Alo" aloe drinks. Don't go overboard but a 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup of that stuff works wonders.

STraight Aloe juice is not advised during pg because it can cause cramping, but I used the Alo with both #4 and #5 and never had any cramps or ill effects and I totally think it's the most effective but gentlest remedy for that particular issue!
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I will give the aloe a shot. Prune juice usually does it...but YUCK! Also...can I take a biotin supplement? I stopped during my sway, but prior it was really helping my hair growth/quality. I seem to lose a lot of hair (in my opinion) and it helped. Also, what is a good amount of folic acid? I'm not sure my prenatal gummies have enough... (just read the bottle...they have 800mcg folic)

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The extra biotin is safe (I used to take 5mg daily for my hair) and 800mcg folic is enough. Though if you want to be really vigilant you could get some folate and take that as well.

My Ovulation Chart

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    WSS!!

The alo drink is SOOO much tastier than prune juice. I learned the hard way not to drink too much of it though o.O
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep, prune juice is just nasty. And I actually like prunes!

My Ovulation Chart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast