Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

URGENT Augmentin 1gm in 7 weeks pregnant

I m 7 + weeks pregnant,and suffering from fever it goes above 101.2 or even 101.8. Local gyn.said its a viral infevtion and prescribed Augmentin 1gm two times. But my IVF dr.is against augmentin.

I m concerned about my baby safety. Has anybody taken it during pregnancy and has no side effect on their baby.

I m freaking out.

Pls advise.

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi there. If your infection is viral antibiotics are pointless. You need to focus on keeping your temperature down. Paracetamol (in Australia) is safe to use in pregnancy. Don't let your temperature climb. Try and drink plenty of fluids and rest. If you do indeed need antibiotics a broad spectrum one like plain amoxicillin is safe but if your dr is saying viral you shouldn't need anything x
    Mummy to 2 wonderful little boys

Cycle #1 HRC- Aug 2013- Long lupron. 11 eggs retrieved, 10 mature, 9 fertilised. 8 biopsied day 5 acgh/day 6 fresh transfer. 5 normals- 4 XX, 1 XY- transferred grade A, fully hatched XX. BFP 4 dpt. 1st beta 9dpt 199, 2nd beta 14dpt dropped 46, 3rd beta 24- CHEMICAL!!!

Cycle # 2- FET- Dec 2013- cancelled due to late ovulation

Cycle #3- FET- Jan 2013-transferred 1 fully hatched grade AA blast- BFP 4dpt, 1st beta 9dpt 678, 2nd beta 12dpt 3195, 3rd beta 25dpt 56,000- 1 HB seen at 6 weeks, 7 weeks and 10 weeks!!!

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's acetaminophen I believe in the US?
    Mummy to 2 wonderful little boys

Cycle #1 HRC- Aug 2013- Long lupron. 11 eggs retrieved, 10 mature, 9 fertilised. 8 biopsied day 5 acgh/day 6 fresh transfer. 5 normals- 4 XX, 1 XY- transferred grade A, fully hatched XX. BFP 4 dpt. 1st beta 9dpt 199, 2nd beta 14dpt dropped 46, 3rd beta 24- CHEMICAL!!!

Cycle # 2- FET- Dec 2013- cancelled due to late ovulation

Cycle #3- FET- Jan 2013-transferred 1 fully hatched grade AA blast- BFP 4dpt, 1st beta 9dpt 678, 2nd beta 12dpt 3195, 3rd beta 25dpt 56,000- 1 HB seen at 6 weeks, 7 weeks and 10 weeks!!!

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the reply. Really appreciate. Even my IVF dr. is saying no need of antibiotic for viral infection. My temperature is keep on fluctuating. sometimes it crosses as high as 101.8 and after taking Paracetamol it comes down to 94. Right now I am taking only Paracetamol 500mg 3 times a day.

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ?Has anybody taken augmentin during pregnancy? waiting for some more replies.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The thing to consider is that they sometimes will think viral, but since they are not totally sure, will then prescribe an antibiotic NOT in a misunderstanding of whether a virus will respond to antibiotic (because doctors know that already!) but because they may be wrong and they want you to be covered in case it is bacterial. It has actually happened to people that they go to the doctor again and again and the doctor blows them off "it's a virus, it's a virus" and then they end up becoming very ill because they did have a bacterial infection all along and missed their lead time of getting it treated. So if the prescribing doctor is unsure, s/he actually may legitimately be prescribing an antibiotic to cover your situation in case it's bacterial. Obviously I'm not a doctor and I don't know your other symptoms, but your IVF doctor is (probably) not even in the same country as you and so I am not totally sure I'd take their assurance if the prescribing doctor is possibly trying to stave off a more serious infection.

Augmentin is a class B drug that should be ok during pregnancy. Now, since it does interact with birth control, your IVF doctor ~may~ have concerns about interaction with the hormones you're on but I would ask their reasoning for that. Is it to do with the IVF or just because a virus doesn't respond to antibiotics??? I just would hate for one doctor to be trying to do the right thing and safeguard your health and the other just assuming "viruses don't need antibiotics" in a kind of knee-jerk reaction, if it IS bacterial in origin.

Obviously overuse of antibiotics is a huge problem but an unexplained fever in a pregnant woman may be one case where they are possibly warranted.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jack3 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Really appreciate. Even my IVF dr. is saying no need of antibiotic for viral infection. My temperature is keep on fluctuating. sometimes it crosses as high as 101.8 and after taking Paracetamol it comes down to 94. Right now I am taking only Paracetamol 500mg 3 times a day.
    Do you have other symptoms that seem viral??? I would be highly concerned as a doctor if a pregnant woman manifested a fever with no other symptoms and while it's ~probably~ viral that does not mean it's not bacterial and an antibiotic may be a sensible precaution if it's an unexplained fever with no other symptoms.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Why did they give you an antibiotic if they think you have a viral infection? The antibiotic will do nothing for a viral infection. Do you have any other symptoms other than a fever?
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks u so much NBP and Atomic. I have sore throat too. I called Ivf dr.today and she said u can go with augmentin as fever is getting worse. Yesterday She asked me to wait for one day to have a look at fever. I have also asked many pharmacist about my condition all of them told me its totally safe to take augmentin to treat infection.
    Local gyn.also asked my other medications. Everybody in my family had/having same infection.
    Thanks both of u for your reply.

10. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If it is viral, the antibiotic will not help. Have you been tested for strep throat?
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast