Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lunaception

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lunaception

"Lunaception" is a term coined by author Louise Lacey in her 1974 book of the same name. Lacey (who freely admits she has NO scientific evidence to support the idea and that it is entirely based on "native wisdom" and anecdote) believes that the moon is capable of altering fertile patterns.

The theory is based on anthropological studies of various cultures that believed that menstruation was somehow tied to the moon. In fact, in many languages, the words for moon and menstruation are even based on common root words - in English, the word menstruation comes from the Latin word "mensis" meaning month, and the word "moon" also seems to stem from that same word (although the Latin word for moon is "luna" so the connection is hardly as straightforward as Lacey would have us think.)

The premise underlying Lunaception is actually quite intriguing. Prior to the invention of electricity, or even the discovery of fire (our ancestors lived for hundreds of millions of years sleeping outdoors without fire), our fertility evolved cyclically, governed by the natural rhythms of the earth, and some of these evolutionary anomalies are still alive and well within us. Much like a tailbone probably once supported tails we no longer grow, our bodies may have latent vestigial biorhythms that we aren't even aware of.

Lacey purports that most women experiences their menstrual cycles with the phases of the moon and at more or less the same time as other women. The idea of menstrual synchrony has been around since the early 70's - a couple of fairly decent studies seem to support the idea that women who live in close quarters with each other, start to ovulate and menstruate on or near to the same schedule. So whether or not the moon has anything to do with it, our tribal ancestors may very well have been all on the rag at the same time.

The conclusion is, that since we evolved sleeping under moon for hundreds of millions of years in close quarters with our fellow female primates, SOMETHING, whether it is gravity, light, or the elusive ion, affects our bodies in such a way that it can enhance or limit our fertility.

Clearly, the gravity of the moon does affect the oceans, so the idea that the moon may have some sort of similar affect on the fluids of the human body makes sense on a gut level. However, the moon's gravitation is not the same around the world (there are no tides at the equator and that's probably where most of our evolutionary past was spent) and high tides occur BOTH when the moon is full and when the moon is new. This is because the highest tides occur when the moon and sun are in alignment and have nothing actually to do with the phases of the moon...when we see a crescent moon for example, the rest of the moon is STILL THERE, we just can't see it. (for a good explanation, see http://home.hiwaay.net/~krcool/Astro/moon/moontides/) So whatever force may underlie lunaception, gravity has nothing to do with it.

Much more likely is that light emanating from the moon somehow affects our body chemistry in such a way as to enhance fertility. Solid science exists to show that day length and artificial light can affect health and fertility. The pineal gland, a little part of the brain referred to as "the third eye", produces melatonin and seems to be affected by light. Interestingly, the ovaries of rats who had their pineal glands removed, grew larger in size, and the ovaries of rats raised in constant bright light were unusually small. Children who have tumors of the pineal gland go into puberty very early. The pineal gland and light apparently DO affect fertility. Why might such a thing have evolved? I don't know what the "official" explanation might be, but to me it seems like ovulating in the full moon makes a heck of a lot of sense, if only so you could see what you're doing!

And what about the idea that this is some leftover instinct caused by menstrual synchrony? Well, it turns out that menstrual synchrony may not even be real. http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...y-really-exist Now, I worked in a dog kennel for 2 years and I did notice that female dogs (yes I know that's not the right terminology but this is a family website LOL) kept in the same pen did seem to cycle together, but it was very far from 100% of the time. So I have to put this into the plausible category as well, but not proven.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So then, there may be something to it. How do you use Lunaception for boosting fertility, regulating cycles, and swaying?

One of the most intriguing things I have noticed about gender swaying is, anything that seems to boost fertility, seems to sway blue, and anything that seems to reduce fertility seems to sway pink. (Even Clomid - although it does trigger ovulation it reduces fertility in other ways by creating hostile cervical mucus and a less inviting uterine lining.)

According to the book Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom by Chistiane Northrop MD, studies have shown that peak levels of conception (and concurrently, ovulation since ya can't exactly conceive without it) take place at the full moon. During the new moon, conception/ovulation rates are lowest, and more women begin their menstrual bleeding during the new moon. This is borne out 9 months later when more women go into labor during a full moon - of course conventional wisdom chalks it up to "full moon lunacy" but it may actually be because those pregnant women conceived during the full moon and are simply due to deliver their babies then! And many women seem to notice that their menstrual bleeding starts between 4-6 am, month after month, no earlier, no later. The trigger of darkness may have something to do with this.

We may be able to harness the power of light to help us regulate our cycles. One study involving over 2,000 women with irregular cycles found that just by keeping the light on while they sleep during the three days of ovulation (regardless of when those were) over half of the women were able to achieve regular 28/29 day cycles with 14 day LP. If you want to regulate your cycle or if you are having issues with short LP (less than 12-14 days), try keeping the light on for three days at ovulation and see if it helps you. Can't hurt, may help, and it doesn't cost a thing!

To boost fertility and/or sway blue, you will want to do one of two things. You can simply sleep with the light on when you ovulate and in total darkness the rest of the time. This will help your body believe that the moon is full and it will start churning out extra EWCM to make you more fertile.

Or, if you are a believer in ions, you will want to attempt to reset your ovulation to when the moon is full. According to the ion theory, positive ions sway blue and are somehow generated by the full moon, so it isn't enough just to rely on light to boost your fertility. You want light AND ions so you will want to ovulate with the full moon. In order to reset your ovulation, start sleeping with the light on during the three days you WANT to ovulate and sleep in total darkness the rest of the time. Then when your ovulation coincides with the full moon, ALSO sleep with the light on. You'll be getting both the potential benefits of light and ions.

If you're wanting to sway pink, there are actually three possibilities. You could sleep in the dark constantly and never turn the light on at all and just rely on the darkness to reduce your fertility at ovulation. OR for believers in ions, you'll first want to reset your ovulation to coincide with the new moon, when girl-producing negative ions are supposedly highest, by turning on the light during the new moon and tricking your body into thinking the moon is full. Then you can decide whether or not to keep the light on during the months you actually attempt. If you turn the light on when the moon is new, you're relying an awful lot upon the existence and swaying ability of ions and discounting the fertility boost that the light might bring, but it probably will help you get pregnant faster. If you turn the light out when the moon is new and you're ovulating, you will get the benefits of the darkness at ovulation and the potential benefits of the negative ions.

One other possibility that occurs to me for pink swayers is the notion of keeping the light on ALL THE TIME. Artificial light has been proven to wreak havoc with the body http://www.conceiveonline.com/fertil...ge-1/?Itemid=0 , lowers melatonin (melatonin may improve fertility and therefore sway blue http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art29772.asp), so if you're trying for pink it may be that sleeping with a light on or tv going could help.

AFTER CONCEPTION FOR EITHER GENDER - It may help to prevent miscarriage by sleeping in a darkened room. This isn't proven but it certainly doesn't hurt to try it!!

FOR MORE INFO ABOUT MOON SIGNS AND SWAYING - http://genderdreaming.com/forum/show...es-for-swaying
    Last edited by atomic sagebrush; March 27th, 2011 at 01:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My midwives often told me that during a full moon they had a big surge of labouring women!
    Fathers Day baby!

Busy Mummy of 5 now working from home: www.oz.scentsy.com.au

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Try and reduce fertility in other ways!

You can also try to sleep in the pitch black when you are actually Oing and then turn the light on when you WANT to O.

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    One website I belong to many girls were trying a form of this to improve fertility. They went so far as to buy blackout material for their windows and to go to bed before it was dark so their body would not 'see' the natural moon phase. They would then turn on a low white light when they wanted to O and then add a second light to make it brighter a few days later, they would then take away the second light after a few days and then turn off the other light. A number of them did manage to align their cycles with the moon like this and some did improve fertility I think. I thought it was interesting but wasn't convinced to try it.

??? ??? What are my twins?

Predicted at 13wk6day scan

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulips View Post
    One website I belong to many girls were trying a form of this to improve fertility. They went so far as to buy blackout material for their windows and to go to bed before it was dark so their body would not 'see' the natural moon phase. They would then turn on a low white light when they wanted to O and then add a second light to make it brighter a few days later, they would then take away the second light after a few days and then turn off the other light. A number of them did manage to align their cycles with the moon like this and some did improve fertility I think. I thought it was interesting but wasn't convinced to try it.
    Exactly! There was at least one study done and this helped people who had a short luteal phase to get their phases back to 12-14 days again.

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Did a search on moons and came up with this thread so thought Id tag on.

Im due to ovulate very near to a full moon, possibly the day before.
    I now have a rock salt lamp that emits negative ions, so would it be sensible to take this away with me and leave on at night as much as possible around ovulation?

Blimmin typical we are going to butlins the weekend of ovulation or just after so have to do the stupid diet when all there is to eat is the buffet lunches, not fair lol

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How close to a new moon makes a difference if you believe it makes a difference at all? Do you still use negative ions like lavender and the fans around this time or do you drop it then? If you do drop it how close to the new moon do you drop them? thanks, chicas!

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think if you believe in the ions the more negative ions the better, particularly around a full moon. I have my lamp on as much as possible all the time.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast