Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    "Similarly, in countries at war, sex ratios tilt toward boys, presumably because of frequent sex during home leaves and after demobilization."

This is NOT true across the board, as WW1 in Western Europe decreased the sex ratio, as well as in the Soviet Union after WW2. I read a interesting study about the increase in the sex ratio after WW2 in the US, I will have to find it because it made sense to me.

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...00572-0075.pdf

^^The war study, was not the one I was thinking of, but along the same lines. At the bottom of this one, they mention a study done by Martinez-Gustin about the relationship between the somatype of parents, expressed by the Rohrer's index and the sex ratio of offspring and I would sure like to read that one!

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by harleyquinn View Post
    "Similarly, in countries at war, sex ratios tilt toward boys, presumably because of frequent sex during home leaves and after demobilization."

This is NOT true across the board, as WW1 in Western Europe decreased the sex ratio, as well as in the Soviet Union after WW2. I read a interesting study about the increase in the sex ratio after WW2 in the US, I will have to find it because it made sense to me.
    There are quite a few studies that seem to indicate the opposite to be true. That tells me that some other factor is coming into play and NOT "frequent sex during home leaves" (which I do NOT believe at all)

http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/con.../12/3173.short
    http://jech.bmj.com/content/56/8/622...e2=tf_ipsecsha
    http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/con...e2=tf_ipsecsha
    Last edited by atomic sagebrush; June 30th, 2012 at 02:18 PM.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by harleyquinn View Post
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...00572-0075.pdf

^^The war study, was not the one I was thinking of, but along the same lines. At the bottom of this one, they mention a study done by Martinez-Gustin about the relationship between the somatype of parents, expressed by the Rohrer's index and the sex ratio of offspring and I would sure like to read that one!
    Let's keep in mind this was published in 1956. Not that it's worthless, just that I put more stock into newer studies as a general rule.

Something interesting to consider is that if there is anything to the fertility theory, it ~may~ be that in times of stress and strife, a higher proportion of well-off and well-nourished people choose to or are able to have babies and so that skews the gender ratio towards boys. If people aren't sure where their next meal is coming from and either lose interest in sex all together, are unable to conceive/carry a baby to term due to lack of food, or decide to be extra cautious because they aren't in a good place to take care of a baby, that may actually prevent a number of girls from being conceived who otherwise would have been.

People who choose to and are able to conceive right after a war, are preselected to some extent, for being better off and probably better nourished than those who can't conceive or choose not to. The samples themselves are skewed.

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ^ yes

I did look into the Roher's index and it seems that has been debunked completely or else nobody cares

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's funny how many studies there are out there that were just never followed up on. I always want to know why - was there some other study or discovery that debunked the original, or was it just that no one had the time or resources to continue??

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, this is an old topic, but recently i watched the documentary of micheal mosley. It was about how to eat to became old in a healthy way...

His conclusion was that we have to eat less overall and far less protein.
    There are some studies that show that IGF-1 decines during periods of fasting.
    He discovered that when he ate 600 kcal a day for just two days a week, his blood values declined to healthy levels. That's now the basis of his 'Fasting diet'; eat 500(women)/600(men) kcal a day for two days a week and the rest of the week you can pretty much eat everything you like.

Reasoning behind it being that in times food were deprived, when we were still hunters, bodies had to become in perfectly well conditions (lean and fit for running after preys), even new neurons in the brains were developed (for example to be more alert or remember where food was available), for surviving. The average age of men increased during world war, probably because of this mechanism!

Made me wonder whether swaying could result in the opposite that we want; a healthier body. But than i thought mr mosley is only anecdotical evidence and more research is needed, maybe this ain't working for women. Additionally, we eat more than 500kcals.

Bit still it's food for thought!
    Mother of '08 and '10

And a aug '14

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I personally think that's a dreadful idea that will mess up your metabolism and I do not recommend anyone do that. I think that is a misuse of data, because the human lifespan has increased due to advances in medicine and not any kind of diet during wartime.

We are not hunter/gatherers that have not eaten much since childhood and are used to that - to go from a normal diet to fasting 2 days a week is very different than a person who has lived their entire life working hard on very few calories and on occasion had to go without eating. Our metabolisms are totally different than that.

In terms of swaying, we're not talking about health, we are talking about fertility. A balanced diet with meat and fat in it has been shown to boost fertility, and a heart-healthy, cancer-preventative type of diet would sway pink regardless of whether it is good for health or not. Mice fed a very low calorie diet lived a long time, but stopped having babies. We're not after "health" altho sometimes we use that term - we're after high vs. lowered fertility.

I do think there are some women who are very heavy and may be better off for their sway if they were to hold steady where they were at and just toss the dice - but if they've already conceived boys at a heavier weight then I would still think something would need to change.

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't directly go with you conclusion that our metabolism is totally different than 10000 years ago, simply because i'm not very into this topic. We are treating it different, but i thought that evolution took somewhat longer. The war data were used as an example by an professor in aging, and just a small part of what he tried to make clear. Seeing the documentary just made me wonder if there's any clue in there.

I totally agree with you that we (as in 'us swayers') are not looking for health, but after seeing this i thought that we may do this unconsious sometimes, which may explain part of the opposites.

Did you see the documentary he made for the bbc?
    Mother of '08 and '10

And a aug '14

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast