Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Folic acid question

I'm taking folic acid as well as a prenatal vitamin. I'm just wondering if I really need the extra folic acid supplement?? I'm relatively young and healthy and eat a wide range of foods. One reason I ask is because I just ran out of the folic acid supplement and we are behind this week money-wise. Do I HAVE to go buy more folic acid? Lol.. thanks in advance for any answers.

successful boy swayer!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If it was me I would buy more so you know you did the best sway possible, but it comes down to what makes you feel comfortable.
    Our 6-pack of girlies

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would buy more.
    Proud mom of 3 lovely young ladies praying and swaying for a

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't know where u live but I'm from NewEngland & u can get like 250 800mcg tabs @ walmart or target for like $4.I think u should get more.I agree with the other girls.u want the best sway possible & do everything u can to get that little boy.then u wont have regrets or "what if" everything.GL
    Jan. 22 2008 7lbs 7oz Mar. 14 2011 6lbs 11ozs (my birthday gift &
    drug free water birth baby) Feb 2 2013 my surrogate bun 5 weeks 11/25/13.:9 weeks 5/9/14NOT giving up on my dream for

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Depends on how much folic acid you should be taking for your sway and if there is enough in your prenatal to keep you covered. Im girl swaying so no prenatals for me but if it were part of my plan I would have to take additional folic acid because my prenatal wouldnt match my needed number.
    Apr 2012 June 2015

Our family is complete!

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks everyone, guess I will continue with the folic acid. Lol

successful boy swayer!

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    the folic acid in your prenatal should be plenty. But if you are drinking green tea then you need the extra folic because green tea will deplete your folic acid

2007 2008 2012

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My thoughts differ than some others, I guess. I say what is in the prenatal is enough unless you've had previous experiences with neural tube defects, expecially if you eat foods rich in folate. If you've had expereinces with neural tube defects, then you should definately take more. I'm on prescription of folic acid (5 mg) plus my prenatal (1 mg). If money is tight and you have drug benefits, can you get your dr to prescribe folic acid? Would that be of any help?

I understand wanting to be sure you have enough, but I think a prenatal has enough in it for most pregnant women.

Angie

I misread -- thought you were preggo. I'm sorry, I shouldn't speak to boy sways....I'm a girl sway. But I do have 2 boys and my first was conceived without anything more than the prenatal folic acid. The second boy I was taking extra b/c of a suspected neural tube defect m/c in between.
    Good luck on your sway!!!
    Last edited by angielorna; August 6th, 2014 at 03:26 PM.
    (Dec 2006) (May 2007) (April 2008) (June 2009) (Oct 2010)
    Praying for a little to complete our family.
    Utrasound at 18w5d says we are expecting our first daughter!!!

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The folic doesn't sway. That's not why I have you guys take it. It's because some of the blue supps like green tea and the BSD stuff that some people use, plus sodium itself, can be depleting for folic acid and boys may need more. Even if you're taking 400 a day (the amount in many prenatals) it's not necessarily going to be enough. IF you're not doing green tea or any baking soda/ural/cot things and you're not eating a ton of sodium, technically you don't need it but i just think it's a good preventative since it isn't harmful (you will just pee out any excess)

IF you were taking it, you need to get more so you can gradually wean off of it. Can't just stop it cold turkey, at any rate.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by angielorna View Post
    My thoughts differ than some others, I guess. I say what is in the prenatal is enough unless you've had previous experiences with neural tube defects, expecially if you eat foods rich in folate. If you've had expereinces with neural tube defects, then you should definately take more. I'm on prescription of folic acid (5 mg) plus my prenatal (1 mg). If money is tight and you have drug benefits, can you get your dr to prescribe folic acid? Would that be of any help?

I understand wanting to be sure you have enough, but I think a prenatal has enough in it for most pregnant women.

Angie

I misread -- thought you were preggo. I'm sorry, I shouldn't speak to boy sways....I'm a girl sway. But I do have 2 boys and my first was conceived without anything more than the prenatal folic acid. The second boy I was taking extra b/c of a suspected neural tube defect m/c in between.
    Good luck on your sway!!!
    I ~personally~ don't want to wait around for anyone to have a baby with a neural tube defect to be sure people are getting enough folic acid. They can be DEVASTATING for a family to have to go through that. I just feel like, isn't it smarter to take the precautions in advance, even if they aren't warranted for most people, to avoid that happening??

FWIW I have a baby with a neural tube defect that I conceived while taking 800 mcg folic acid and eating tons of food. I had one Lipton green tea a day, rarely two. No family history and my other two kiddos were perfectly normal. Luckily, mine is a happy ending and the NTD is very mild but there are people who have kids in wheelchairs and have to have tons of medical interventions just to live a normal life. To me it isn't worth the risk but to each their own.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast