Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am still confused (attempt question)

Sorry.. I am trying my best to understand the every four days thing, but I am still a little confused.

I am taking clomid this cycle and making our first attempt. We are doing one attempt at positive OPK, with DH releasing every 4 days prior. SO, here is where my confusion lies... Say we have sex next Saturday (but use protection), and then I get my positive OPK on Monday, does it matter that he just released on Saturday and it has only been 2 days? or even worse... what if I get a + OPK on Sunday and he just released the day before? Does this effect the amount of attempts? or is it just the completion of the attempt in me that counts? Sorry to be graphic, but I just want to know that I understand completely. Thanks for your help!!
    Four Amazing Boys!

One Sweet Girl - Thanks to Atomic and GD!

One angel watching over us

Praying and swaying for another so that , hopefully, our daughter can have a sister.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the every four days, is so you will have an attempt in your fertile window. But i may be wrong hopefully someone else who definitively knows will comment.
    8/06 DS, 4/11 DS, 6/13 DS, Swayed for a GIRL & am expecting TWINS!! A & A EDD 8/15

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Im pretty sure ur suppose to have unprotected sex every 4 days. And if ur using opks then u also have 1 attempt when u get a positive.

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    From what I understand The 4 day thing is irrelevant but means the sperm will be healthy. It's the one attempt at pos opk that matters, regardless of when dh last released. Good luck!
    DS1 (8) DS 2 (7), DS 3 (7), DS 4 (7)

mc at 11 weeks (26/05/14)

EDD July 2015

FX it's a sticky pink bean in there...

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You don't have DH release every 4 days, you have an attempt every 4 days. This stemmed from the success of one attempt. One attempt has gotten great results, but many women have trouble detecting O and get a lot of false negatives/positives and it can be stressful tying to determine what's a true positive OPK. So instead of stressing over opks atomic suggested having an attempt every 4 days. You're only fertile for about 3 days each cycle so by bd every 4 days you have much higher chance of catching the egg than relying on sometimes tricky opks and you automatically have only one attempt in your fertile window.
    2010 2012 2015--home water birth VBA2C!!
    praying for one last

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you everybody for your input! I'm actually even more confused now because I SWEAR that atomic specifically told me to only have the one attempt at positive OPK but to also have DH releasing every 4 days prior on his own. I'm going to look back at that post and double check. Thanks again ladies!
    Quote Originally Posted by carmella_marie View Post
    You don't have DH release every 4 days, you have an attempt every 4 days. This stemmed from the success of one attempt. One attempt has gotten great results, but many women have trouble detecting O and get a lot of false negatives/positives and it can be stressful tying to determine what's a true positive OPK. So instead of stressing over opks atomic suggested having an attempt every 4 days. You're only fertile for about 3 days each cycle so by bd every 4 days you have much higher chance of catching the egg than relying on sometimes tricky opks and you automatically have only one attempt in your fertile window.
    Four Amazing Boys!

Praying and swaying for another so that , hopefully, our daughter can have a sister.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The release pattern doesn't matter - just have him go for every 2-4 days release (this doesn't sway pink, it maximizes numbers of healthy sperm) and if something happens and it's every otehr day or every 5 days it is irrelevant. You're just trying to avoid long periods of abstain and several days of releasing all right in a row.

Whatever you do, the thing that is swaying is the one attempt inside. Please stick with that for now no matter if he just released or not. Adding attempts will undermine your sway and while we may need to add an attempt at some point (since you're on Clomid)we want to give it a shot with one attempt. For reasons we do not understand, having one attempt in the fertile window sways pink.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by HopingForHairbows View Post
    Thank you everybody for your input! I'm actually even more confused now because I SWEAR that atomic specifically told me to only have the one attempt at positive OPK but to also have DH releasing every 4 days prior on his own. I'm going to look back at that post and double check. Thanks again ladies!
    You have it right. Other people are getting confused with the every 4 days BD pattern but since this is your first month on Clomid we are going for regular release for DH plus one attempt at pos OPK. Eventually we may have you switch to every 4 days if you don't get pg but we are not there yet.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BlessedMomma View Post
    Im pretty sure ur suppose to have unprotected sex every 4 days. And if ur using opks then u also have 1 attempt when u get a positive.
    Just to clarify, there are several different ways to incorporate the every 4 day method.

1)Have DH do regular release every 2-4 days (maximising sperm health and quality) with one attempt at pos OPK. This is what I had recommended for Hairbows to start with.

2)BD unprotected every 4 days. This is for people who aren't getting pos OPK or who find the whole "one attempt at pos" to be too stressful, DH having trouble performing, etc. NO ONE should BD unprotected every 2 days. DH can release every 2 days, but if you are doing unprotected BD it MUST be every 4 days and no sooner (a very few people have switched to every 3 days but only those who are really in a rush to conceive)

3)BD unprotected every 4 days plus one attempt at pos OPK. This is more for people in a bigger hurry to get pregnant. I do not want anyone to START OFF doing this method unless they are 40+ or have already been on Clomid several months.

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    The release pattern doesn't matter - just have him go for every 2-4 days release (this doesn't sway pink, it maximizes numbers of healthy sperm) and if something happens and it's every otehr day or every 5 days it is irrelevant. You're just trying to avoid long periods of abstain and several days of releasing all right in a row.

Whatever you do, the thing that is swaying is the one attempt inside. Please stick with that for now no matter if he just released or not. Adding attempts will undermine your sway and while we may need to add an attempt at some point (since you're on Clomid)we want to give it a shot with one attempt. For reasons we do not understand, having one attempt in the fertile window sways pink.
    Thank you so much for clearing that up. I feel much more at peace now that I understand it fully!!! You're the best.
    Four Amazing Boys!