Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Warrior Gene = Boy Baby?

So in an effort to take a break from swaying (and GD), I have been spending my time working on my family tree, which includes a run of my DNA to match with cousins, etc.... well, I stumbled into a website that lets you run your raw DNA results through a database that tells you what each gene is and what that means. (NOTE: Just because someone carries a certain gene doesn't mean that the gene will necessarily express itself, for example, I have a gene for blue eyes, but my eyes are green, but it explains how my DS1 has blue eyes, a supposedly recessive gene)

According to my DNA, I have a double dose of the "warrior gene" (i.e. I got a "warrior gene" from my mom and my dad), which means that from a genetic standpoint I perform well under stress, tend to be more competitive, more prone to be able to assess risk in the moment and make decisions under pressure. Doesn't this sound so "Martha-y"??

I don't think there have been any studies on this gene and the propensity to have boy children, but it definitely made me wonder given Atomic's Martha and Mary hypothesis. Obviously, there is nothing I can do about this in terms of my sway, but I found it interesting nonetheless. Anyone else know if they carry the "warrior gene"?
    Mom to (2013)
    Got pregnant swaying pink on our 3rd try.
    Fingers crossed for a on June 14, 2015

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nope, I do not. And have two boys

I am probably the least competitive person you will meet. I sucked so bad at team sports cause I just didn't understand WHY it mattered who won. I am still, as an adult, very non-competitive. I've never understood competition. Nor do I perform well under stress

I actually don't think it sounds terribly Martha, except the competitive part. The rest just sounds like you have a well-tuned "fight or flight" response and perform well when it's critical to make snap decisions. I am a basket case with snap decisions. Lol.

I see Martha qualities as more long-ranging than snap decisions and working well under pressure. It sounds like the warrior gene *might* be linked to higher testosterone. But we don't even have strong connections with that and swaying.
    A: "Owner" of the following brood:
    -Our biggest surprise dude (L: 2009)
    -Our rainbow little man (K: 2011)
    -Our sway and pray little diva (J: 2013)
    -Our lucky charm guy (S: 2015)
    We may be done, we may come back for one more sway. Time will tell. At the moment, we are very content with our family!

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi just to inform you. Everybody has two genes inherited from their parents (as long as the gene is on an autosome = chromosome 1 to 22. If a gene is on a gonosome (X or Y), women have to copies and men have one.

The Monoamine Oxidase A gene (MOMA or warrior gene) is located on the X chromosome. So you have two MOMA genes anyway, as every women (or double dose as you call it)!
    It is just a variant of the gene that increases expression and can lead to a more risk-taking personality.

The gene seems to be recessive, so you have to be homozygous for the variant, otherwise there is no effect!! Are you sure you have to copies of the MOMA variant? That means your parents have to have them as well. How is the personality of your father?

But do not worry, these gene tests are actually just for fun. I think genes with strong disease-associated mutations are not included. The MOMA-Gen/Variant is not something to worry about!!!!!!
    Sorry for my bad English! - I am from Austria!!

Ferdinand 7 yrs Leopold 5 yrs
    MC in october 2013
    MC in august 2015

After 3 years: due in June!

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, what I meant by a double dose is that I didn't get one "warrior" gene on one X, and a "worrier" on the other X, but that I got a "warrior" gene from both my parents. Interestingly, I don't really consider myself that much of a risk-taker, though I definitely don't suffer from test anxiety and I can perform reasonably well (maybe even better?) under pressure.

I'm not terribly "worried" about any of this in terms of my sway (since it's not like i can change my genes anyway), it was just something i thought was interesting and made me wonder about other people's experience.

Thanks for all the input!
    Mom to (2013)

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    But every women got this gene from both of her parents!
    Or do you mean that you got the special variant from both of them?

Yes, in terms of swaying maybe it is interesting! Maybe it really makes you more Martha??? Why not! But many, many genes and their variants are responsible for our personality (apart from your environment and your educational background etc. ...).

MC in october 2013
    MC in august 2015

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My understanding (and I'm not a geneticist) is that you either have the "warrior" gene or the "worrier" gene, or a combination of the two (if you are a woman because the gene travels on the X chromosome and women get one X from your mom and one from your dad).

So a simplified version of options for women are this:
    Warrior-Warrior (both X chromosomes have the warrior gene--which is what I have)
    Warrior-Worrier (one X has the warrior and one has the worrier)
    Worrier-Worrier (both X's have the worrier gene)

I agree with you, just because you carry one specific gene does not predetermine anything as personality (and the likelihood to bear a child of a particular gender) are likely influenced by many, many, many genetic and environmental factors..... (or at least let's hope so, or this whole LE diet has been a waste of time and energy!!! =)
    Mom to (2013)

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah - it seems that the wild-type form is called "worrier". And you have two warrier forms? .... however it it actually a bit to comlicated to discuss. Because there are several forms of the warrior form. (I am doing human genetics by the way. If you are intersted I can look it up in details for you)

I am pretty sure, LE diet is defenitly not a wast of time! Even if you have the worst form of the warrier gen!

MC in october 2013
    MC in august 2015

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wellll...I hesitate to chalk TOO much up to one thing especially where genes are concerned, because it doesn't make sense to me that non-gender related genes want to link too closely to gender - especially male gender. If this "warrior gene" made us have disproportionately more boys, that gene would get regularly annihilated every time Genghis Khan came rolling to town and wiped out all the dudes, yk? That's a genetic dead end there and that happened so often, I can't imagine any such gene getting a toehold if it was real closely tied to gender.

I think what makes the most "sense" evolutionary-wise is for our bodies to look around and take stock and "decide" what gender baby has the best shot of survival in the environment we're in in that point in time. For a warrior-type person, that may mean that they're able to indulge that part of their personality. For a worrier, it may mean they're able to fully indulge THAT part of their personality.

I see TONS of non-confrontational, but highly anxious women who are having boys.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello,my name is Sarah and I'm non-confrontational and highly anxious
    9899030508 1012 for a one day.Summer 20017 pink sway is a go!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by queen-of-harts View Post
    Hello,my name is Sarah and I'm non-confrontational and highly anxious
    Haha I love it! I am also VERY non-confrontational as well. Drives DH nuts. I do very poorly under pressure and in my earlier years was very shy and had anxiety attacks. I also am not competitive AT ALL and my husband is very competitive and so I'll say "honey why even keep score? Let's just have fun!" And I can literally see steam coming out his ears it makes him so mad!!
    2010 2012 2015--home water birth VBA2C!!
    praying for one last

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast