Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is my gyecologist rigth

We are ttc for some months now. So I decided to see my gynecologist today.

OPK was not really positive yesterday (faint) line. Today at 11 pm it was positive and I had a sharp pain at about 2 pm.

The doctor did the sonography at 6 pm and he said that ovulation already occurred and that my chances for a pregnancy are very very low if we have an attempt now!!!! 😞
    Is he right? I thought that the egg survives 6 to 24 hours?

Anyway, we had an attempt 😍
    Sorry for my bad English! - I am from Austria!!

Ferdinand 7 yrs Leopold 5 yrs
    MC in october 2013
    MC in august 2015

After 3 years: due in June!

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Odds are just highest if you make an attempt BEFORE ovulation. You can still get pregnant with an attempt after though.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay, thanks.
    I am so confused because he said that like it is IMPOSSIBLE.....

MC in october 2013
    MC in august 2015

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, it's not impossible but odds are low because you want the sperm to be ready to "jump on" the egg already. I think it's less than 15% but don't quote me on that.
    DS1 (2012)
    Due 7/13/2015 ! Swayed pink and I am blessed to be with and (TWINS!)!

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe that's why we are having lots of BFNs! 😢

MC in october 2013
    MC in august 2015

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Why don't you switch to every 3-4 day? That way you are always in with a chance. The stats are very good with it for pink also.
    Very blessed with

Due 24th March 2016

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    O pains are not a good indicator of o as they can happen days before or after o. Opks are slightly different for each woman: some people get a +OPK 48 hours or more before o, some get a +OPK only hours before O. Some women the positives stick around for 2-3 days, others only get a positive for a few hours. The egg can live up to 24 hours but typically only lives 6-12 hours. If the gynecologist saw that you already ovulated at 6 pm then they won't know if you ovulated 2 hours ago or 12 hours ago but likely the egg is gone. Your best chance of conception is before o.
    2010 2012 2015--home water birth VBA2C!!
    praying for one last

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Chances are low but not impossible. On average, the egg lasts only about 12 hours after O and sperm can take up 24 hours to capacitate and be capable of fertilization. So as carmella said, in advance is much better, and ultrasound isn't capable of pinpointing exactly how long ago you Oed. Still, maybe you JUST Oed before the appt and your eggs are exceptionally long lived and DH's sperm capacitate very quickly inside you. Fx.

My Ovulation Chart
    currently TTC, Cycle #16 since last BFP

TTC #1 - swaying pink on & off since Nov 2013 - hoping for a girl first but excited for either!

Dec 2001 - May 2006 : 5 early abortions of healthy singletons (3 medical @5w, 2 surgical @8w, last 4 pregnancies conceived with late DH, all conceived while TTA/on birth control)
    Mar 2012: miscarried B/G twins @5w (conceived 2 cycles after removìng Paraguard copper IUD while NTNP), one twin was ovarian ectopic

Me: 34, widowed, late O + short LP, normal-good hormone levels excepting undetectable testosterone, seeking a known sperm donor/life partner
    My sway: vegetarian LE for over 28w, skipping breakfast, fibre (ground psyllium husks) with/before/between meals, physically inactive, drama avoidance, ocassional minimal YesBaby lube as needed, alternate cycles on low dose Clomid, double shot lattes (with meals)
    Past sway tactics I've dropped (in order): Vitex, Sudafed, antihistamines, intermittent fasting, one attempt per cycle at positive OPK, one attempt in fertile period

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh, I am or was very fertile (got pregnant multiple times from single attempts 4-6 days before O while trying to AVOID pregnancy), but while actively TTC last Winter/Spring, 2/4 cycles I had only one attempt on O day and the other, only oe attempt the day after O), and I usually O around 2am), and neither time did I conceive. Like you, I often O within several hours of my first positive OPK, with no/little advance warning bc my OPKs were faint right up until they suddenly turned dark. Very annoying! So I then switched to every 4 days. OPKs don't work well for me and the ones here in Europe are especially bad quality, showing blank/faint second lines most of the time and then suddenly a medium dark but not true positive second line - but that's what my positive looks like, I don't get dark second lines on European OPK strips.

I just started using a CB fertility monitor last cycle and I got it too late in my cycle (10 days before O) to use it properly, but it did give me 2 days of High fertility before 2 days of Peak fertility and I Oed either 1 or 2 days after the first Peak. I am hoping it will give me at least as much warning this cycle too, bc I will be TTC next cycle.

My Ovulation Chart
    currently TTC, Cycle #16 since last BFP

TTC #1 - swaying pink on & off since Nov 2013 - hoping for a girl first but excited for either!

Dec 2001 - May 2006 : 5 early abortions of healthy singletons (3 medical @5w, 2 surgical @8w, last 4 pregnancies conceived with late DH, all conceived while TTA/on birth control)
    Mar 2012: miscarried B/G twins @5w (conceived 2 cycles after removìng Paraguard copper IUD while NTNP), one twin was ovarian ectopic

Me: 34, widowed, late O + short LP, normal-good hormone levels excepting undetectable testosterone, seeking a known sperm donor/life partner
    My sway: vegetarian LE for over 28w, skipping breakfast, fibre (ground psyllium husks) with/before/between meals, physically inactive, drama avoidance, ocassional minimal YesBaby lube as needed, alternate cycles on low dose Clomid, double shot lattes (with meals)
    Past sway tactics I've dropped (in order): Vitex, Sudafed, antihistamines, intermittent fasting, one attempt per cycle at positive OPK, one attempt in fertile period

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynazyme View Post
    We are ttc for some months now. So I decided to see my gynecologist today.

OPK was not really positive yesterday (faint) line. Today at 11 pm it was positive and I had a sharp pain at about 2 pm.

The doctor did the sonography at 6 pm and he said that ovulation already occurred and that my chances for a pregnancy are very very low if we have an attempt now!!!! ��
    Is he right? I thought that the egg survives 6 to 24 hours?

Anyway, we had an attempt ��
    Your "sharp pain" does not mean anything. O pain is a very poor predictor of when you ovulated.

He doesn't know when O occured, he's just telling you that having sex after ovulation is a cruddy way to get pregnant and I totally agree with him. Still, have attempt anyway, just in case he's wrong.

The egg DOES NOT really survive 24 hours. That is an error being reported as fact, because when people are using natural family planning to prevent pregnancy, they operate under the idea that eggs might possibly (under totally ideal conditions and with a super duper healthy egg) potentially survive up to 24 hours - since they do not want to get pregnant, they err on the side of absolute caution and 24 hours is the amount of time no egg will ever still be alive. For whatever reason, the other swaying sites misinterpret that into meaning that eggs like 24 hours (they don't).

You guys need to be in with attempt BEFORE ovulation. That's all there is to it. If you want to get pg, err on the side of attempting before O, not waiting till after (even if that wasn't your intention)
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast