Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish Oil

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fish Oil

I am really confused on fish oil. From everything I have read (on here and other sites), I knew I was on a mission to find a fish oil that comes in 1000 mg, with DHA and make sure that it is mercury free. Right? So I've been to 3 different stores... no where can I find exactly 1000 mg. Only 300 or 1200 mg. And then today the guy at the vitamin store was asking me if I wanted it 3, 6 or 9??? What in the world? And how much DHA do we want? I have some DHA in my prenatal (only 50), so I don't want too much (if that is possible). Any thoughts ladies? Sorry if this is already on here somewhere, I have read and re-read everything and my head is spinning now. Thanks!

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh Geez! I don't know. I got my fish oil at Walmart It is 1,000mg.
    2006 2009 2012

Looking to add another to our family!

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I got mine at Target, Nature Made brand, and it is also 1000. I wouldn't worry about taking 1200 though if that is the dosage you find. Remember to take it with a meal that contains a good amount of fat in it.

I'm not sure about the DHA; I know my prenatal contains some but I haven't supplemented it with anything else. Atomic has mentioned the Enfamil DHA vitamins that are designed for breastfeeding moms... you could check those out perhaps.

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    this is what i get:

http://www.nordicnaturals.com/en/Pro...4/?ProdID=1413

the strawberry flavor. its at most local health food stores/vitamin shops. i took it thru out both my pregnancies and breastfeeding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just got fish oil 1,000.. doesn;t mention anything about dha?
    Fathers Day baby!

Busy Mummy of 5 now working from home: www.oz.scentsy.com.au

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Why would we need DHA in fish oil? I never read that anywhere before.

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    its good for brain development in baby, Flava. amongst other things...

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo77 View Post
    its good for brain development in baby, Flava. amongst other things...
    sure it's good .Like I said I just never read this before that DHA is is fish oil. I have reg. FO from walmart 1000mg that's it.

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I take Blackmores Fish Oil. Each capsule has 1000mg of fish oil containing omega-3 marine triglycerides 300mg as EPA 180mg and DHA 120mg. So I interpret this to mean that the 120mg of DHA is actually a part of the total 1000mg. Make sense? And it is also mercury free.
    DW: 30
    DH: 32

2008 2010 2013

Cycle #1- HRC November 2014
    5 normal XX and 1 normal XY
    Transferred 1 XY HB BB- BFP!

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by soontobesix View Post
    I am really confused on fish oil. From everything I have read (on here and other sites), I knew I was on a mission to find a fish oil that comes in 1000 mg, with DHA and make sure that it is mercury free. Right? So I've been to 3 different stores... no where can I find exactly 1000 mg. Only 300 or 1200 mg. And then today the guy at the vitamin store was asking me if I wanted it 3, 6 or 9??? What in the world? And how much DHA do we want? I have some DHA in my prenatal (only 50), so I don't want too much (if that is possible). Any thoughts ladies? Sorry if this is already on here somewhere, I have read and re-read everything and my head is spinning now. Thanks!
    GREAT question.

As far as we know, you can't get too much DHA. 3 GRAMS may cause bleeding in some people but 1000 mg plus 50 in your prenatal, is much less than that obvioulsy. Now new info becomes available all the time and so I'm not saying anyone should go out and start snorting the stuff BUT jsut that you shouldn't worry too overly much about the amount in your prenatal + the amount in a fish oil supp because lots of people are getting that much. If you do notice you are having excessive bruising or heavy periods, time to dial it back on the Fish oil.

Fish oil by definition HAS DHA in it. So don't worry about that one. ALL fish oil sold in the US anyway, should be mercury free as well. Even the ones that don't advertise it boldly on the label are mercury free because mercury is a dangerous toxin that companies would get into big trouble for.

It is just fine to get the 300 mg one and just take it 3 times a day. There is nothing magic about the 1000 mg number. You could take just 300 mg and still reap some benefits from it.

The 3-6-9 numbers are referring to Omega 3, Omega 6, Omega 9, which are all forms of fatty acids. Fish oil has Omega 3 in it and that's what you're after anyway. Most of us get plenty (too much really) Omega 6 through diet, and if you're taking EPO, that has Omega 6 as well. Our bodies can manufacture Omega 9 out of Omega 3 and 6 so there is no need to take that, even though some people do.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast