Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

TTC with Femara vs doing IVF again right away - need feedback!!

hi ladies!

I am again on a fence about what to do this cycle. So we are having infertility issues, diagnosis currently unknown. We are redoing all our baseline and pretests this cycle.

I have also been prescribed Femara 2.5mg (cd 3-7) for this cycle, which sways pink. Right now I am stuck - do we try this month or not?!? Would I regret it if we got preggo right away on Femara but had boy #4?

So far the facts are:

-I am not a great IVF responder to a standard protocol.

-we do make girl embies (2 out of 3 that fertilized in our HT cycle were XX)

-we do not know currently what my egg reserve is, and I won't know before deciding whether to TTC this cycle

-I am in Canada so to do PGS for GS at all we have to travel to the US

-DH (military) is posted to another city for 2 years starting this Aug. So I will be doing all treatments pretty much by myself for the next two years. It is possible for him to take a little time off here and there if I need to, say, travel to the US for a week to do ER/ET, but it won't be easy. If we did IVF in the US I'd also have to drive to Montreal (2 hours away) to do all satellite monitoring - again this would be while DH is away so I'd have to squeeze it in while managing the house/kids by myself. Kind of hellish.

-I am 36 in Sept and this might very well be our last really good shot at a baby at all. With my fertility clearly sliding this past year, I can't count on any fertility at all by the time I'm 38-39.

What to do?!? I'm so so torn. It's easy to say 'go back to IVF now' but we have NO TIME. Any IVF now would be by myself, the whole thing, with having to drive 2 hours just to do monitoring. And we all know it often doesn't easily work either.

What would YOU do in my shoes? I keep waffling back and forth. Mainly I don't know what to do THIS month since I'm working blind with no idea of what my egg reserve is and how much time I have left.

Also, I am getting counselling starting tomorrow because my GD does have roots in my childhood (emotional abuse issues). So it's also possible that with counselling I can come to terms with all that and come to peace with my GD. (Blogged about it earlier today.)

Suggestions, feedback, devil's advocate, all welcome!! Thank you!
    Last edited by LacePrincess; May 25th, 2015 at 03:13 PM.
    Me (38) and DH (38)

SAHM military momma to DS1 (2004), DS2 (who's all boy but loves to dance, though not in a tutu!) (2006), DS3 (2009), and our rainbow baby girl DD1 (2017)

early m/c Jan 2013

Cycle #1 @ HRC (Oct 2014) - 6 retrieved, 4 mature, 3 fertilized and biopsied. 1XX and 1XY abnormal. 1XX no DNA found, rebiopsied and found normal, frozen.
    FET attempt #1 (Nov 2014) - cancelled due to functional cyst. FET attempt #2 (Jan 30, 2015) - NT. Remaining embie failed to thaw.

May 2015 - started infertility treatments at OFC. Femara 2.5mg
    July 2015 - BFP after second round of Femara. Aug 4 2015 - 6w4d
    Dec 21 2015 - mmc 7w1d

Apr 2016 - IVF Cycle #2. Converted to IUI because of uneven response and leading follicles.
    Apr 19, 2016 - IUI with 3 mature follicles (2 right, 1 left), post wash: 17mil, 94% motility and 89% rapid motility. BFN.

June 3, 2016 - 5mg Femara cycle. 5w.
    Sep 1, 2016 - 5mg Femara cycle. 8w.

Our rainbow baby girl arrived on Mon Aug 28, 2017 - "After every storm comes a rainbow". We are so thankful and grateful for every moment.

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    IVF in two years may not be a viable option at all with low reserve.

If you are ok with either gender, go for it and maybe you get a girl this way. If it's a boy, IVF at 38-39 will be very difficult. You have to know that going in.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

3. Thanks LacePrincess thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nuthinbutpink View Post
    IVF in two years may not be a viable option at all with low reserve.

If you are ok with either gender, go for it and maybe you get a girl this way. If it's a boy, IVF at 38-39 will be very difficult. You have to know that going in.
    Yes I know definitely that IVF might not be possible in a few years. Juggling DH's job is the biggie!

Okay so we're going to call CNY and see if they could possibly fit me in for IVF/PGS before Aug. If so we're going to go down and do a cheapie cycle. If not then we continue with Femara and just TTC either gender.
    Me (38) and DH (38)

SAHM military momma to DS1 (2004), DS2 (who's all boy but loves to dance, though not in a tutu!) (2006), DS3 (2009), and our rainbow baby girl DD1 (2017)

early m/c Jan 2013

Cycle #1 @ HRC (Oct 2014) - 6 retrieved, 4 mature, 3 fertilized and biopsied. 1XX and 1XY abnormal. 1XX no DNA found, rebiopsied and found normal, frozen.
    FET attempt #1 (Nov 2014) - cancelled due to functional cyst. FET attempt #2 (Jan 30, 2015) - NT. Remaining embie failed to thaw.

Dec 21 2015 - mmc 7w1d

Apr 2016 - IVF Cycle #2. Converted to IUI because of uneven response and leading follicles.
    Apr 19, 2016 - IUI with 3 mature follicles (2 right, 1 left), post wash: 17mil, 94% motility and 89% rapid motility. BFN.

Our rainbow baby girl arrived on Mon Aug 28, 2017 - "After every storm comes a rainbow". We are so thankful and grateful for every moment.

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a femara boy (DS1) and clomid boy (prg now) plus it was right after a m/c. So I would only sway+femara if you really want another baby either way. I thought I did but then had a really hard time when we found out he is a boy and kinda wish we had just done ivf because now if we do have another we will have to risk it being my 5th c-section (although we would for sure do ivf if we try again so either girl or no prg. I have not gone through ivf but I am pretty firm that next time will either be a girl or no pregnancy. )
    (2009)
    (2011- IUI and femara) (2012), (8/2015) (sway opposite) 2019
    HT 2018- Feb - 12 retrieved- 0 embies made it to PGS testing
    April- 10 retrieved- 1 5AB embryo made it to testing- normal XX!!!! July FET- BFP!!! DD born 2019

6. Thanks LacePrincess thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks 2blue. That's the way I'm leaning....now it's just trying to make it work. It's really hard with DH's job creating so many logistical issues and working around the GS illegal in Canada problem. But you're probably right I need to figure it out and make it work.
    Me (38) and DH (38)

early m/c Jan 2013

Dec 21 2015 - mmc 7w1d

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    bump
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ