Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Luteal phase too long?

Can it be? I have only had 2 ppafs and they were 35 days apart and peak solid smiley on day 17( the kid that also has high blinky days too.) If I go to 35 days again that would be an 18 day lp. Anything bad about that except the extra wait? Tia
    Its A Girl!!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You don't ovulate till up to 3 days after +opk so if that's the case your LP is still perfectly normal. I'm one that doesn't O till 3 days after my first +opk so maybe you are too? That would give you a 15 day LP, not 18. That is probably more likely than having an 18 day LP.
    Me: 35 years old. Was an infant nanny and birth and postpartum doula. Now a full time SAHM.
    DS1: Aug 2003 (my first home birthed water baby!)
    DS2: May 2009 (my second home birthed water baby!)
    Oct 2014
    July 2016: Laproscopic surgery to remove a ping pong ball sized endometrioma on left ovary and 3 pea size fibroids on outside of uterus. Hysteroscopy to remove one larger "penetrating fibroid" inside uterus.
    Oct 2016: Heartbroken after DH's vasectomy. Looks like my dreams of a daughter are gone.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    You don't ovulate till up to 3 days after +opk so if that's the case your LP is still perfectly normal. I'm one that doesn't O till 3 days after my first +opk so maybe you are too? That would give you a 15 day LP, not 18. That is probably more likely than having an 18 day LP.
    I've even seen 16 day LPs, but never 18. Chances are good that you just don't O until 2-3 days after you first +OPK. I am also one that tends to get my first + 2-3 days before O.
    Our family is complete
    My precious babies: 2006 , 2010 2016
    Too beautiful for earth: 2009- (20+5). 2015- (8w), CP, (8w)

Please pardon typos~ Nursing @ keyboard

4. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I know my af is getting back to normal having not had one for so long but I have always got positive prego test at 9-10 days past ovulation( smily face since I don't temp) so if I do 3 days later that'd be pretty impossible to test positive. Hoping it's sorting itself out and will come earlier. But let's say I do have 18 day or longer is it an issue. I hear about lps too short, can they be too long?
    Its A Girl!!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If I started temping now would that help or too late? If I had normal 14 day after o it would be here tomorrow or either way sometime this week for full 35 days. Nevrrer temped and don't know what I'm looking for but would be nice to see if I'm actually ovulating. I usually do go right back into normal after ppaf. He's 23 months.
    Its A Girl!!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Atsaukina1 View Post
    I know my af is getting back to normal having not had one for so long but I have always got positive prego test at 9-10 days past ovulation( smily face since I don't temp) so if I do 3 days later that'd be pretty impossible to test positive. Hoping it's sorting itself out and will come earlier. But let's say I do have 18 day or longer is it an issue. I hear about lps too short, can they be too long?
    I'm no expert but I can't think of a problem. The trouble with short LPs is if you start to shed your lining before bean can snuggle in tight and start producing the hormones to keep you from shedding you lining then basically a pregnancy never has a chance to reach fruition. I'll look it up and let you know if I come across anything.
    Our family is complete

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If I started temping now would that help or too late? If I had normal 14 day after o it would be here tomorrow or either way sometime this week for full 35 days. Nevrrer temped and don't know what I'm looking for but would be nice to see if I'm actually ovulating. I usually do go right back into normal after ppaf. He's 23 months.
    Uh, maybe... you really want to have 6 temps pre-o if you can to distinguish your pre-o from your post-O temps. I have seen it done with less but if you are new to it you may have a harder time. Also, you might be able to tell by a drop in temp when AF is on it's way. If your temps go up close to time for AF it *could* mean you are pg but it could also mean absolutely nothing. It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and start to get into the habit/rhythm of charting so you are extra prepared next cycle, but charting is about the big picture, and without the whole picture you aren't getting the whole story. If you can get in at least 3 pre-O temps that would go a long way toward making a distinction as opposed to one or no pre-O temps.
    Our family is complete

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    everything I am finding online just says a long LP can be frustration and a nuisance but as long as your LP is at least 10 days there is no issue. I found one thing negative but even the writer stated that there weren't enough studies to back it. I'd chart a full cycle (if you don't get preg by then) and see where you stand on LP length in black and white, so to speak, and go from there if you are still worried. I don't think you have anything to worry about though. Just means that a bean has extra time to snuggle in tight and get the hormone train going
    Our family is complete

10. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Likes Atsaukina1 liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would start temping now before af. So do you temp through af, the whole month? Then I would still use my digi opk but chart to seee if I actually o'd after the fact?
    Its A Girl!!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would start temping now before af. So do you temp through af, the whole month? Then I would still use my digi opk but chart to seee if I actually o'd after the fact?
    Ok, as far as temping through AF, that is really your call some do, some don't, and HOW you temp factors in. Oral is easier, but less accurate (if you mouth breath, or get sick and you nose get stuffy and you have to breath through you mouth, if you are like me and have to keep a drink by the bed and you take a drink before temping... all those can alter your temp taken orally. Vaginal temping is another method, and it is the one I use. It's a little less convenient because of the obvious reasons but it is by far more accurate. Obviously, if you are temping orally you can continue to temp through AF without any issues due to AF. Temping vaginally during AF can get messy, esp the first few days when it is the heaviest, but there are therm covers you can buy super cheap to help if you REALLY wanted to keep temping. Personally, after years of charting I know I will not be O'ing for a few weeks so I take a temping vaca during AF, and if you aren't O'ing until around CD 17 you would be fine to do the same. Really the only ppl who have to keep temping through AF to get a full picture are people who O super early, like CD 10 for example. If you have a 7 day AF and you take that time off then you can only get 2-3 temps before you O... does that make sense? Another option if temping vaginally is to take the first part of AF off and resume, using covers, towards the end if you tend to get really light or even spotting for a day or 2 at the end of AF. In the end, temping during AF is your call

As far as the opk, again it's your call. The OPK will clue you in that you are nearing a potential O... but so can your cervical position and cervical mucous... not down to hours but it does clue you in. Are you swaying pink or blue? If you are swaying blue you could use the OPKs while you learn all the other stuff then drop them and DTD like bunnies as soon as your cervical mucous turns to eggwhite until you see a temp shift and save $$ on the OPKs. If swaying pink it would depend on if you wanted to do one attempt at +OPK, which means you would HAVE to use OPKs obviously, or you could just DTD every 4 days and save $$ on the OPKs. I am swaying girl, DTD every 4 days AND using OPKs.. that is an option also. There are some rules you want to stick to as much as you can with charting (like temping the same time everyday-alarm clock is necessary in many cases unless you naturally wake up same time every morning-, when you first wake up and before you get up and move around and preferably with a minimum of 3 hours sleep, for example) but a lot of it is your call. Some ppl just temp so they know what day the O'd and know exactly where they are in their cycle. Some temp and use OPKs. Some temp and check cervical position/mucous. Some do it all. It really depends on what YOU WANT to do so don't feel like there is a certain way you HAVE to do it.

HTH!

ETA: feel free to ask me any questions you might have about the ins and out of charting. I am happy to help in any way I can
    Last edited by twointow83; July 6th, 2015 at 10:27 AM.
    Our family is complete

13. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast