Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

How long does it really take for sperm to capacitate?

If one of my attempts was 48 hours after first Opk, would that attempt be very unlikely to succeed due to the fact that sperm need to go through this process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm really interested in this answer too.
    I didn't even know that it had to do anything other than swim to the egg until I saw mention of capacitation the other day

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Am not sure but following with interest, I think I read a comment that it varies but can take up to 10 hours, but that dont seem right to me. In the sperm meets egg approach the day after positive OPK is the key day, also atomic said you can o up to 72 hrs after opk but am not sure if that is first positive or what? I get confused by all this as well. This attempt I had a positive on Thursday morning about 7am and attempted the following morning at 7 am, i ask and a few ladies thought that was the best timing for getting pregnant. Sorry that does not answer your question, I suppose if you o' ed earlier than 48 hrs then it probably would be too late. I think one attempt can be hard to time, I switched to e4d's and then e3d's because I did not conceive, good luck and will be following other people's responses with interest x

4. Likes MrsSparkles liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I found this old post where Atomic said the following:

"--Sperm take time to capacitate and get to the egg.

While some sperm are superfast swimmers and have been shown to make it to the upper part of the Fallopian tubes within minutes of ejaculation, those sperm are not capable of fertilizing anything because they have not capacitated yet. (Evidence shows that the majority of superfast sperm are dead on arrival and incapable of fertilizing anything anyway.)

At ejaculation, sperm undergo a process called capacitation, where they lose their protective caps and become hyperactive. This process takes several hours. No one is honestly SURE how many hours it takes – it may very well be the case that it varies by individual man, and is almost certainly the case that the woman’s internal environment may control this to some extent. The absolute soonest sperm can capacitate is the 4 hour mark and that is probably being overly optimistic. Please note, only a minority of sperm are ever capacitated at any one time. They capacitate in waves in order to guarantee that some troops will always be ready to go in case Miss Eggo shows up. The others stay uncapacitated, basically asleep, so even if some sperm manage to wake up in 4 hours’ time, there may not be enough to find the egg and get thru the eggshell (it takes more than one sperm to penetrate the jelly on the outside of the egg)"
    http://genderdreaming.com/forum/tryi...ate#post483606
    Pregnant with baby GIRL #2, due August 2019
    Successful girl sway, born in 2017.

6. Thanks MrsSparkles, atomic sagebrush, pinkribbon thanked for this post
    Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for replies ladies! and thank you GirlieCat for finding that info from atomic. That is so helpful
    After reading all of that it's making me think that surely the later BD we did couldn't really count and it must have been the 2 days before positive Opk BD that I must have gotten pregnant from.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow there's a lot to it isn't there!

I literally learned NONE of this at school.

9. Likes Sophiadreamingpink liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sophia, you need to stop tearing yourself up over how many attempts you have had. Seriously. Neither I nor anyone else can tell you a) the number of attempts you really had or b) the gender of baby you're carrying. Even if you had one attempt, you do still have a chance of a boy, and so all this going round and round over the number of attempts you had is not going to tell you anything at all.

To answer your question, the earliest sperm capacitate seems to be about 4 hours. This may be longer in some situations, and they do capacitate in waves meaning that only a percentage of them are capacitated at any one point. Some are always capacitating and others are dying off.

But I cannot extrapolate that to tell you if the sperm from that BD had a chance of the egg or not.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSparkles View Post
    Wow there's a lot to it isn't there!

I literally learned NONE of this at school.
    They actually did not even know most of this when we were in school.

12. Likes MrsSparkles liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Girlieplease View Post
    Am not sure but following with interest, I think I read a comment that it varies but can take up to 10 hours, but that dont seem right to me. In the sperm meets egg approach the day after positive OPK is the key day, also atomic said you can o up to 72 hrs after opk but am not sure if that is first positive or what? I get confused by all this as well. This attempt I had a positive on Thursday morning about 7am and attempted the following morning at 7 am, i ask and a few ladies thought that was the best timing for getting pregnant. Sorry that does not answer your question, I suppose if you o' ed earlier than 48 hrs then it probably would be too late. I think one attempt can be hard to time, I switched to e4d's and then e3d's because I did not conceive, good luck and will be following other people's responses with interest x
    What you have to understand is that there is NOT some magic length of time that makes sperm capacitate. They capacitate due to chemical signals and so yes, sometimes the chemistry is not right and they don't capacitate for a long time (more like 10 hours or even days) Only a certain % of them capacitate. They die not that long after they capacitate, so there are always some that are dormant while others capacitate and are ready if the egg shows up. There is a reason why dudes shoot millions of the little buggers all at once.

The reason why DTD on certain days is better odds of conception is because the chemistry is right on those days and more sperm will probably capacitate faster and get to the egg to fertilize it. That is partly why some days are better for conception than others, it's to do with the chemistry and the ability of the sperm to swim to the egg in the first place.

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    Sophia, you need to stop tearing yourself up over how many attempts you have had. Seriously. Neither I nor anyone else can tell you a) the number of attempts you really had or b) the gender of baby you're carrying. Even if you had one attempt, you do still have a chance of a boy, and so all this going round and round over the number of attempts you had is not going to tell you anything at all.

To answer your question, the earliest sperm capacitate seems to be about 4 hours. This may be longer in some situations, and they do capacitate in waves meaning that only a percentage of them are capacitated at any one point. Some are always capacitating and others are dying off.

But I cannot extrapolate that to tell you if the sperm from that BD had a chance of the egg or not.
    Ok.... Thanks. I just figured that after reading what I did that my last attempt would be too late.
    I'm actually not stressing or tearing myself apart.

15. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast