Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

nub theory angle of the dangle more fixed form 11w+ hence more accurate?

ok so i have been doing hte nub theory for over 6 years and always assumed that if you get a good nub shot once it is visible at 9 weeks plus you can venture a good guess about gender. now i have had a scan at 10.4 weeks and read in some other posts that scans less than 11 weeks and a few days are not accurate....
    now if the nubs of both boy and girl is a protruding tubercule at the end of the bottom and one determines gender by the angle of the dangle rule....then why is a nub that is clearly visible at 10 weeks not anymore accurate than that at 12 weeks? has this something to do with the fact that the tubercule is flexible at that stage i.e. 11 weeks or less and can move from one angle to another and as the weeks progress i.e. form 10 weeks to 11.5 weeks.....the tubercule becomes more rigid and fixed into place based on the gender of that baby?...cause that will only explain to me why a nub seen at 10 weeks in whatever position is less accurate as the same nub at 12 weeks. cause in both stages the tubercule is still protruding.....and sticking out the same.....

can someone clarify this for me please as on pic shows my nub pretty flat and it was like that most of the time during the scan and i have seen that too at 8wand 5 days (i had a clear white line at the end of the bottom but was told it was too early then) and then i have another pic of the same scan and it looks like a 90 degree nub......sticking up......although i concentrated and i knew that at times the leg got in the way but if you see my boy nub pic it really looks like a perfect boy shot.

i have another third pic and the nub cannot really be seen but i see something of fork hiding behind the thigh....

i would be really curious as to why 11 weeks + is more accurate than less than 11 weeks....when at both times the nub is sticking out just the same....

so the question is....are nubs less than 11weeks flexible and those at 11week+
    Last edited by toomanyboys; June 12th, 2012 at 03:29 PM.

married for 18 years!!!!

ME '74 DH '69

MUM to 5 happy active talented fiesty '00, '04, '06, '12, 14 and 1 '08. GD PART OF MY LIFE NOW. Accepted and enjoying life with my kids! Now in my early 40's still a small glimmer of hope to possibly be blessed with another pink bean, however, more of a fantasy then a deliberate attempt. On coil and not planning anymore. Don't think I could handle GD now.

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This is what a 9-week fetus looks like-

Name:  week9.gif
Views: 9500
Size:  11.6 KB

The body parts aren't even there yet so there is no way gender can be seen. It has a tail at this point.

At 10 weeks, the testicles or ovaries have not even formed yet, so there is no gender to be seen at that point.

Ten weeks-
    Name:  10weeks.jpg
Views: 9047
Size:  7.0 KB

This is the study that talks about he angle of the dangle- baby2see did NOT come up with this!!

Study link-
    http://www.fetalmedicine.com/fmf/1999_4.pdf

Here is the part you need to read-

The structural precursors of the external genitalia are present but are not sufficiently differentiated to make a clear distinction on examination of the genitalia until after 10 weeks of gestation. However, from 12 weeks, there are distinct changes in the structure of the urogenital sinus. A process of gender-specific changes takes place. In males, the urogenital sinus is replaced by the scrotal and urethral raphe; closure of the urogenital sinus takes place in a zip-like fashion starting from the caudal end of the embryo. This process, combined with elongation of the genital tubercle, gradually displaces the phallus in a rostral direction.In the female the urogenital sinus remains open and ultimately becomes the vestibule of the vagina. Significant differences in the rate of penile and clitoral growth become evident in the second trimester; the majority of prenatal
    growth of the penis occurs after 14 weeks’ gestation at an almost linear rate.

In our study, 56% of male fetuses were wrongly assigned as female at 11 weeks; this
    false-negative rate decreased to 3% at 12 weeks and 0% at 13 weeks. In contrast, only 5% of the female fetuses at 11 weeks were incorrectly assigned as male and this falsepositive rate was 0% at 12 and 13 weeks.

So, you have a much bigger chance of getting it wrong at 11 weeks by thinking it is a female when it is actually a male than thinking it is a male and it actually being a female. The "nub" does not rise until after 11 weeks and the closer you get to 13 weeks, the more accurate it is.

So, bottom line is 11 weeks (or ealier) is just not accurate for gender guessing. HTH
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    awwww...thanks it does...thats fab...so although i have seen a flat nub it coul stil mean boy does that mean the pic with my boysihs nub is probably not even a nub?...so i am still at logger heads though cause my girly nub can still be a boy nub...and yet my boy nub can still be a girly nub...how annoying.......it had to be me getting a dubious scan!!!GRUNT

married for 18 years!!!!

ME '74 DH '69

MUM to 5 happy active talented fiesty '00, '04, '06, '12, 14 and 1 '08. GD PART OF MY LIFE NOW. Accepted and enjoying life with my kids! Now in my early 40's still a small glimmer of hope to possibly be blessed with another pink bean, however, more of a fantasy then a deliberate attempt. On coil and not planning anymore. Don't think I could handle GD now.

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanyboys View Post
    awwww...thanks it does...thats fab...so although i have seen a flat nub it coul stil mean boy...cause my girly nub can still be a boy nub-
    yes, a 56% chance at 11 weeks according to this paper- I have no idea what the % is earlier than 11 weeks- higher I imagine
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had to lookup "rostral direction" and it means "towards the head or mouth"- so that is why it angles up 30 degrees or more.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Can I butt in? When they say 11 weeks, does that mean the entire 11th week, so say 11 wks 4 days or 11 ks 6 days still counts as 11 weeks?
    2004 2006 2010 2012

My BOY sway worked!! THANK YOU GENDER DREAMING!!

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    11 weeks-12 weeks is not reliable for gender at all. Scans done at 11 weeks are basically useless, even at 11 weeks 6 days.

12 weeks is more reliable and the later on you get towards 13 weeks, the more reliable.

13 weeks, getting pretty dang reliable at that point but still not perfect. (and this I can attest to because I've had 2 scans at 13+ weeks and both were obvious for gender, 1 b, 1 g, even tho the tech would not verify gender either time and I didn't know anything about nubs or dangles at all when I had them done.)

By the time 14 weeks arrives, the penis is growing at a linear rate so it starts to get very hard to miss.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    that is helpful i will then plan to get my NT scan at around 13 weeks.....i do want to make sure that that date is also good or best for the NT. what is the peak time to get an NT scan...meainig the best time ever to get a most highly reliable accurate reading...???thats when i wll book it for then....

married for 18 years!!!!

ME '74 DH '69

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    look what i found...i am not sure if this is a real life fetus or a model but i am beginning to see why 10.5 weeks can be so not reliable...if this is how all fetuses at 11 weeks look like.....WARNING it looks a bit GRAPHIC and REAL
    Fetus 10 - 12 weeks - a photo on Flickriver

awhat gender would you make out of this baby or is this what both boys and girls look like....is the crease running from the anal to the tubercule the rostral direction they are talking about? can gender be somewhat determined form this fetus....?
    Last edited by toomanyboys; June 12th, 2012 at 05:43 PM.

married for 18 years!!!!

ME '74 DH '69

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh gawd! For some reason I can't look at fetuses when I am in the nauseated phase! I'll just continue to look at cartoon images!! Lol

Had my first and only little girl Emmerson oct 19,2014 right on her due date!
    Hoping I stop calling her 'little dude, bud' and him real soon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast