Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ultrasound tech melted my brain

Name:  Baby 2015 2.jpg
Views: 1172
Size:  116.8 KB

I am so confused. I haven't been on here in ages, November was the one year mark since we lost our 10 year old son, and the whole end of last year was just really rough. Also had a chemical pregnancy in November. Ended up with a BFP in January, and was waiting to post what I had done for my sway until we were a ways in, and we knew who we were having.

Monday I went for my 20 week ultrasound, at 20w 2d. Though I had swayed girl, I was expecting to hear boy, and did, pointing to this picture and the "good looking scrotum" in it. Well 5 minutes after this, the baby pottied (which was pretty cool to see, actually) and the tech suddenly got a bit flustered and changed his tune. "I apologize," he said, "I think that is a girl. We should have seen a clear penis pop out there when the baby went, and I don't see that. Sometimes the labia gets swollen and makes it hard to tell...I'm like 90/10...never 100%..." and I didn't hear any more and wouldn't have believed a word of it at that point anyway. I assumed he had grabbed a couple of photos for me on my usb drive after his flip flop, but discovered when I got home that he hadn't. So I have no comparison shots. Nothing clear enough either way. Now I am debating what to do. I have to have another ultrasound in 8 weeks due to a low lying placenta, but 1. I don't know if I can wait that long, and 2. I don't really want to pay for an extra ultrasound in between. On the upside, the next one should be done by my regular guy who I have seen in my last 4 pregnancies, and I tend to trust him more.

What do you see? What would you do?
    '00, '03-'13 , '06, '09, '11, '13
    Hoping for one last

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh hun, how devestating you lost your son! I'm so so sorry! And for that reason, because you already have so much to deal with, I would pay for another ultrasound. To ease your mind. I don't think this looks like an obvious boy, but not sure if that's a girl either. I'm sure the more experienced girls will chime in. But these are just my two cents. For your own peace of mind, I would get another scan done. Good luck, I hope you hear pink!
    Mummy to a girl, born sleeping & two gorgeous & loud little boys

3. Thanks usuallywrite thanked for this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That looks like a definite GIRL to me! I see the three lines. So sorry for the loss of your son.(((Hugs)))
    2009 2011 7/2016

Due in October with our baby girl!

5. Thanks usuallywrite thanked for this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm so sorry for the loss of your son.

I personally think this is looking more like a girl than a boy. The u/s tech probably thought he'd given you a good answer with his last guess of 90% girl, not realizing how important it is to you to know 100%. He probably didn't realize that he'd given you a pic where it said boy, even though he'd said girl after boy. These techs do scans all day, so often that they forget how important gender can be after you hear the baby is healthy.

I understand you are hesitant, so personally I would definitely pay for a private scan in your situation, letting them know that your main focus is gender rather than general health (which is what the regular ultrasound is for). But I don't know if you can spare the extra money for this. It depends on if you can mentally "survive" not knowing for another 8 weeks vs the money). I think it's looking promising for girl, but I don't want to give you hope and then it's a boy after all.

Good luck deciding what to do!

7. Thanks usuallywrite thanked for this post
    Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you ladies. I am soooo incredibly relieved that baby thus far looks healthy. That was the biggest thing with everything else my family is already going through. I was even debating staying team green as I did in 2 other pregnancies. But once I decided I wanted to know, now I REALLY want to know. I don't have the energy, resources, or time to prepare for both this time around! And my DH, upon hearing girl, has decided that that is it. He was hoping to hear pink (he has never before expressed a preference either way). He is saying 'she' all the time, and I don't want that sinking in if it's a little man.
    Hoping for one last

9. Thanks Lassamal thanked for this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I hate to be a sexist pig but I have seen time and again that the male ultrasound techs are THE WORST at determining gender. Jump to quick conclusions and speak when they should wait for a better shot. then are defensive about it (at least part that doesn't seem to be the case with this guy)

I honestly could not tell what gender from that picture.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

11. Thanks usuallywrite thanked for this post
    Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Lol, Atomic, I don't find that sexist! Interesting, funny, but not sexist. The first bit I felt was exactly as you said. He zipped over there so fast, said what it was, and I was thinking, wait, how about we do a little wander around the area before sticking flags in the ground and making life changing proclamations?? With all 5 of my boys, I got clear all boy potty shots, no doubt at all. That's what I would really like this time around too.
    Hoping for one last

13. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am so sorry for your loss.

This picture is tough. I almost think I am leaning more girl than boy though...
    Thank you God and Our Lady
    - 2005 - 2007 - 2010 - 2012 - 2013 - 2016

Due January 2021

Dec '12, Feb '13, July '15

15. Thanks usuallywrite thanked for this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh my I'm so sorry for your loss! I agree this is not a clear shot, I'd lean more towards girl than boy from it though! Good luck
    gorgeous DS1

gorgeous DS2

Praying and hopefully soon swaying for a precious pink princess to further complete our family

17. Thanks usuallywrite thanked for this post
    Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Girl!

19. Thanks usuallywrite thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast