Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Only saw "scrotum"

Ok so I have a question.. I had a private ultrasound done at 15+6 and the ultrasound tech and myself only saw scrotum... Or what she said was scrotum and no penis, she checked about 5 or 6 times even got me to change positions. My question to you is, could baby still be a girl? I have pretty much accepted that it's a boy because it didn't look like anything that would indicate a girl but also no penis. Anyone else have this problem before? I do have my anatomy scan booked in a couple weeks so I will be getting it double checked. I wish I had a picture of my last scan tho.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would call my ob gyn with these concerns and ask for a scan earlier. It could be a girl with swollen labia, could be something else like hypospadias. Don't want to alarm you, but it happens more often than we know and you'll want to know if baby needs surgery after birth. My son has it and has a very succesful operation when he was one. All looks perfectly normal now, but was worried sick at the time.
    Mummy to a girl, born sleeping & two gorgeous & loud little boys

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Would that make the penis not visible on the ultrasound?

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybepink View Post
    Would that make the penis not visible on the ultrasound?
    In some cases yes, as it will curl up a bit behind the scrotum, as the skin is attached to the scrotum.

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting I've never heard of this. I have 2 boys and while I never saw my 2nd sons "goods" I did see my first sons, mind you it was about 25 weeks and not 15/16 weeks I thought that may have been a difference but it didn't have the distinct "turtle" shape so I was curious especially since the tech never mentioned penis and just scrotum. I will bring that up at my next doc appt or I may wait until my ultrasound on the 20th. I don't actually get to see my OBGYN until July 29th, just seeing my gp right now.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    1 in 200 boys have this, so its possible but still the odds are so much greater than the tech just couldn't see the baby in the right position, cord could be in the way etc. So don't worry!

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you. For whatever reason I've been thinking about it more and more. She told me what it was and I accepted it and then a week later I had this thought at the back of my mind that I never saw a penis and neither did she.. Just a bump.. Baby wasn't the most cooperative and had to shake my belly a few times to see between the legs but for whatever reason I just keep thinking back to it.

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Bump anyone?

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would wait until your anatomy scan. It could be just the way the baby was positioned. Hope your LO cooperates next time!
    2009 2011 7/2016

Due in October with our baby girl!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would wait till your anatomy scan and then raise the concern if you see the same thing again. Swollen labia is a possibility as well as bad positioning, wrong angle of the shot, and then lastly something medically abnormal. Don't stress out about it until it gets confirmed with an anatomy scan with your OB.
    Apr 2012 June 2015

Our family is complete!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast