Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sad Face How to extend Luteal Phase

My LP is about 8/9 days and I wonder if it's that that stops me getting pregnant each month

I actually had a BFP this month but then AF arrived and ruined everything and the tests are now negative

Any other ladies with short LP phases have problems with conception? Any ideas on how to extend or do I need to go to the doctors? Or is this not even a problem and fairly normal?

It might also be worth asking you ladies- my first few days of AF are actually super weak and just bits of dark brown 'spotting'. If I were to count from my first day of full AF my LP actually is normal 14 ish days. So which dates should I be using as 'day 1' of my cycle and counting as my LO phase as 8 days or 14?

Thank you so so much- any help or advice would be so gratefully received. I'm so fed up

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    (((Hugs))) CD1 begins the first full day of bleeding starting during the day. If your AF comes late afternoon or evening, then CD1 is the following day. It is also normal to have some light spotting prior to AF starting.

By the way this cycle sounded with all of the pre-AF spotting, it goes in line with having a chemical pregnancy. I'm so sorry for your loss. Take some time to heal and regroup. We are all here for you!

To answer your LP question, you can conceive from an 8-9 day LP. I did with my DS's 1-2, because my cycles were very short back then - only 23-26 days.

8/2010 6/2013 11/2015
    Baby Girl EDD 9/30/2017

3. Thanks pinkfairydust thanked for this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It sounds like you had a chemical, so I am so sorry for your loss

LP defect is controversial. An 8 or 9 day LP would be considered too short by many (and I personally had two losses with an LP like that), but some think that it's not necessarily an issue, or only an issue if you implant late. Interestingly, my RE seemed completely unconcerned by my LP (which is currently 10-11 days). But I am also fairly positive I conceived my DD with an LP no longer than that, either.

The spotting that long before periods is more of a concern I'd think than the LP, especially since I don't think you technically have an LP issue based on what you've said. It could be indicative of a hormonal imbalance, so if you were to pursue the medical route, I'd bring up the frequent spotting. Supposedly B6 or a B Complex vitamin can help with LPs, but it's mixed on who it helps (and for some, can even delay O further).

Do you have anything else going on that could be influencing the spotting? Just had birth, just got off BCP, nursing, etc.?

5. Thanks pinkfairydust thanked for this post
    Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is quite normal and happens all the time.

In that case you just have some spotting at the end of your LP and that happens quite a bit to many people and doesn't count as a true short LP. Count from the first day of red bleeding.

A trip to the doc can sometimes end in Clomid or Femara. The straight truth is, unfortunately, in the UK most docs have been very, very unwilling to do anything at all about short LP. They won't prescribe any medications - not Clomid, not progesterone supplementation, nothing.

What I'd do if you aren't already is do the full fat dairy daily, 4-6 eggs a week, and then a serving of salmon if you like it and red meat if you don't. Drop fiber and cut back exercise by one day per week.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

7. Thanks pinkfairydust thanked for this post
    Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks so much for all your responses!

I had thought maybe the pregnancy test gave a false positive but yes now I've read about it, a chemical seems more likely

Atomic are you saying it's very common for ladies to get brown spotting in the run up to AF? Even 4/5 days of light (brown coloured) spotting, in the run up?

If I counted 'day 1' as the first day of red blood then it seems I don't have a short LP at all! Well that's some good news if so!

Thanks again ladies xxx

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    False positives are quite rare (I had one once, but the entire test was defective - no line, the whole box just turned pink, and that was over 20 years ago)

Yes that's just what I'm saying. It's very, very common and some people always have it. You CAN get pregnant that way.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

10. Thanks pinkfairydust thanked for this post