D I Y Rice Milk

"Make yer own rice milk! This is a homemade solution to Rice Dream and similar products. Easy, nutritious and absolutely no preservatives or other "unknowns"."

Download
photo by a food.com user photo by a food.com user
Ready In:
2hrs 20mins
Ingredients:
Yields:
20 oz
Serves:
2-4
Advertisement

ingredients

Advertisement

directions

• Cook rice, vanilla bean or extract and water until very soft.
  • Let cool, remove vanilla bean (if using) and put mixture into blender or food processor.
  • Blend until very smooth.
  • Let stand for at least 45 minutes, then strain through cheese cloth.
  • Voila! Rice milk!

Questions & Replies

Got a question? Share it with the community!
Advertisement

Reviews

1. Sweet and simple, just what I'm looking for as a substitute for unhealthy white powders (non-diary creamer)

2. This was perfect for me, Thanks! I made this last night, used 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract and added 1 Tablespoon agave nectar for sweetness. I made a Chocolate-Maca smoothie today for lunch substituting the rice milk for my usual 2% cows milk and it was excellent! (not to mention almost no fat). I think this would make an awesome base for Horchata as well. As some other reviewers had mentioned, it is thick. If you are going to use this for conventional milk purposes, cereal etc, you may have to water down a little.

3. This didn't work for me. The consistency was very thick. It is easy to water it down but I just didn't care for the taste, it was slightly bitter. If I tried this again, I would reduce the amount of rice I used and also add sweetener like another reviewer mentioned...

4. It didn't taste like my favorite brand of rice milk, but it was fairly easy to make. One thing I really appreciated was being able to adjust the consistancy myself. Commercial rice milk is too watery. With this recipe, I was able to make the rice milk more like the thickness of real milk. (Initially it was very thick--like a can of condensed milk.) I added some sugar to make it taste more like the brand I'm used to. My son seems to like it.

5. I loved this recipe, and have been making it weekly since discovering it. It is thick, as everyone has pointed out; but it's easily thinned to whatever your specifications are, and very filling. It's delicious with my cereal and costs as much as a 1/2 cup of rice, so I'm sold.

Advertisement

Tweaks

1. This was perfect for me, Thanks! I made this last night, used 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract and added 1 Tablespoon agave nectar for sweetness. I made a Chocolate-Maca smoothie today for lunch substituting the rice milk for my usual 2% cows milk and it was excellent! (not to mention almost no fat). I think this would make an awesome base for Horchata as well. As some other reviewers had mentioned, it is thick. If you are going to use this for conventional milk purposes, cereal etc, you may have to water down a little.

RECIPE SUBMITTED BY

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Find More Recipes