Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Girl sways and being dairy-free?

If I needed to be dairy-free prior to TTC, is there anything I could do to still sway girl?

I have a genetic mutation (MTHFR) that is associated with autism (and miscarriages). It affects my ability to absorb folic acid. I can help it by taking a certain kind of folic acid. I did not know about it with DS1 and I think it may have had a hand in his autism. I did take the right folic acid with DS2 and so far he seems neurotypical. BUT with this mutation, dairy can also affect my ability to absorb folic acid so being dairy-free about 3 months before TTC and throughout the pregnancy is good. I did this with DS2
    Adoring our gorgeous (2007) and (2013)

Missing (2006) and (2012)

*Might* be TTC a 3rd baby in mid-2015. If so, planning to sway but would welcome another sweet

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Dairy isn't neccessary at all while swaying pink!
    No worries!

I used a bit of dairy to add to total protein intake, but there are other sources of protein that you can use.
    Mother of '08 and '10

And a aug '14

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We no longer believe that calcium/dairy sways pink, so YES!

I got my little girl with both DH and I having barely any dairy after getting 4 boys with tons of it (and my last two taking supplemental calcium!!)
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Phew! That is good to know! Thanks!

*Might* be TTC a 3rd baby in mid-2015. If so, planning to sway but would welcome another sweet

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you mean folate? It's the natural version on folic acid, which is actually a synthetic vitamin. I plan on taking folate myself (possibly even methyl folate which is even easier for the body to use) because all my kids have minor midline defects (tongue tie, sacral dimple, etc) which can be a sign of poor ability to convert folic acid to folate.

I found this article of interest when checking if I had the name right. http://mthfr.net/methylfolate-side-effects/2012/03/01/ Might be useful.
    2001 2005 2009 2012

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Blueeyedguys, yes it's the methyltetrahydrofolate form of folic acid that I need. The mthfr.net site is a great one to describe it all.

I am heterozygous (1 copy of the mutation) for C677T and husband is heterzygous for A1298C. Our DS1 who has autism had the perfect set up for a compound heterozygous mutation (1 copy of each) which is the most common mutation in autism. 98% of kids with autism have a mutation. But amazingly, DS1 does not!

Still, he was hurt by my lack of absorbed folic acid during my pregnancy with him (he has 4 midline defects) and also the fact that the unabsorbed folic acid was high in my blood****** (because I was taking lots of regular folic acid but not processing it properly) which can cause tissue damage.

I had found all this out prior to TTC our second so I was on the right folic acid and our DS2 does not have any midline defects and seems NT so far.

Since your kids have some midline defects you might want to get tested for an MTHFR mutation. If you have one you'd definitely want to take the 5-MTHF form of folic acid AND cut out any other forms of folic acid (so you do not get a high blood serum level of unabsorbed folic acid).

I tapered up my dose of the 5-MTHF when I started it (back in 2012) and I luckily had no side effects. I was on 3 mg/day when pregnant and am now am on 2 mg/day. It's important for all other kinds of health issues to be processing enough folic acid.
    Last edited by beingmommy; June 21st, 2014 at 01:56 PM.

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I actually have been thinking of getting tested for it. I think repeated miscarriage is also a sign & I've had too many to count. Of course, that's also a sign of untreated hypothyroid AND B12 deficiency, both of which I also have, which is why I've put off testing. That & I don't really have a dr, I just get prescription refills at the walk-in clinic.
    2001 2005 2009 2012

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh so sorry to hear about the many miscarriages. I have had two, one before each one of my boys and it is always so sad. And yeah, the MTHFR mutation can lead to that too. You could always just use the 5-MTHF anyway since it can't hurt you and make sure you slowly taper up on it to avoid any side effects. OH and if you are doing the 5-MTHF and you do have a mutation, you need to also take the methyl form of B-12 (methylcobalamin). If you don't the 5-MTHF can't work as well.

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow this is really interesting. All my boys have sacral defects. One has a dimple, one has a double crease, the other has a double cleft and I was taking the folic acid each time. Also lip and tongue ties in all. My third sons was very severe. Plus I'm not sure what is up with DS2 - he's not been diagnosed with anything but he exhibits some minor ASD behaviours. Others seem normal. Thank you. I will do some more reading
    Very blessed with

Due 24th March 2016

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This is very interesting and disturbing at the same time. I have always been wondering if there is something wrong with me, inside my body that could have caused so many problems for me and my children. And all the problems we've had I found in the list of issues one can have with this gene. I will look into this and speak to my GP to have this tested. Although I know my GP is not very supportive or cooperative So thanks for posting this and good luck on your sway!!
    Mummy to a girl, born sleeping & two gorgeous & loud little boys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast