Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

DH on blood pressure meds and TTC

Hi all, we are currently TTC a baby girl. DH has been taking blood pressure medication for about a year (metoprolol - a beta blocker). I am wondering if this will affect his fertility. Has anyone conceived (either gender) while DH was on a beta blocker or other blood pressure meds? If so, what was the baby's gender? I want to sway pink, but first of all, I am concerned about fertility in general.... From what I have read, beta blockers don't affect sperm quality, but can affect performance. I am thinking if we don't have performance issues, we should still be OK to conceive? Any thoughts or stories would be appreciated -- thanks! Also, any ideas on how such meds might sway...

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the link, I did come across that in my research, which seems to indicate beta blockers do not impact sperm directly but could interfere due to decrease in libido, etc., performance-based issues. I was also looking for anecdotal info -- I am sure there are other ladies out here who have DHs on blood pressure meds! Thanks again

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The belief is that they'd sway pink, but we don't have a ton of data on that.

I can say that a fair number of my blue swayers who order custom plans DO have husbands on one or more of these medications and have gotten girls while taking them - anecdotal to be sure but def. a strong trend that way.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Atomic ... so it sounds like people with a DH on this kind of med have been able to conceive (opposite gender or not!), which is really a relief to hear

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Love Go ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by Curlyseuss View Post
    Thanks Atomic ... so it sounds like people with a DH on this kind of med have been able to conceive (opposite gender or not!), which is really a relief to hear
    My DH was on 2 types of high blood pressure meds. God pregnant three times. Had 2 miscarriages (nothing to do with his medication). And gave birth to a healthy baby boy 2012. Am a living proof that can still get pregnant under those circumstances.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyseuss View Post
    also wanted to mention that was WITHOUT swaying, so if a person took steps to improve sperm health and quality it can be overcome.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My DH was taking Lopressor (metropolol-generic name) and Cozaar (another type of blood pressure medication), along with prednisone and a few other immunosuppressant drugs (b/c he's a kidney transplant recipient) and we still conceived a boy after him taking those meds for 5 years. And, his sperm count wasn't high. I must add that I def was eating a boy diet myself and DH would eat whatever he wanted. After reading all of this info over about how many drugs my husband takes, it makes me realize what a true blessing my DS really is to us being my DH takes so many meds. Just wanted to share the info with you. Hope you get your girl. xx
    Last edited by Trishy74; January 30th, 2014 at 10:20 AM.
    2011 - Matthew (who is the light of my life) in 2013 for delivery some time in 2014

Came to this website in September 2013 hoping to sway for a girl as we have none on either side of our families (6 boys total). Diagnosed in January 2014 elevated FSH level and extremely low AFC count. Praying and hoping God blesses me with one more healthy child whether it be another boy or a girl. Praying my RE can help me to achieve my dream of giving my son a sibling some time soon.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My husband has genetically high blood pressure. Has been on mess for about 7 years. We conceived two boys and a girl, plus four other pregnancies that ended in loss (a clotting issue, nothing to do with hubby or medication). He doesn't have a great libido, but enough to keep us content and growing our family
    A: "Owner" of the following brood:
    -Our biggest surprise dude (L: 2009)
    -Our rainbow little man (K: 2011)
    -Our sway and pray little diva (J: 2013)
    -Our lucky charm guy (S: 2015)
    We may be done, we may come back for one more sway. Time will tell. At the moment, we are very content with our family!