Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

SERIOUSLY?!?!?! MaterniT21 WRONG??!!??

Ok so I am almost 15 weeks now and had to go for another u/s b/c I have a low lying placenta and a SCH that has been making bleed for the last 8 weeks on and off. The tech today was looking more closely at the baby and so I said, "we already know he's a boy, can you just make sure all is well w/ the boy parts?" So she was looking and she was like "I'm not convinced this is a boy honey". What???? She told me that I would have to wait a few more weeks to get definite confirmation but that it didn't look like a boy to her. Now I am seriously freaking out b/c we have had the results from the MaterniT21 for like 3 weeks now and I have actually kinda fallen in love with the idea of having another son after initially feeling pretty disappointed. I mean don't get me wrong, I would be tickled if it's actually a girl but now I am wondering if everything is ok developmentally and how this genetic test could be wrong?? Does that happen?? Has anyone heard of that happening?? I feel like I am starting all over again!!
    Mommy to Abigail Joyce 6/7/2010
    Evan Andrew 7/19/2012
    Riley Joseph 8/30/2014

Two angel babies in heaven 5/2013 & 8/2013

Hoping to add another princess in a couple years!

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Happened with another member on the Harmony test so it is possible!
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It supposedly happened with someone else HOWEVER I do not believe their baby is here yet and I still think the blood tests are MUCH MUCH more accurate. Human error does always occur but I would still operate under the assumption it's a boy.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

4. Thanks laurelw thanked for this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think they're 99% effective aren't they? So wrong 1 in every 100 cases but I would still want another scan. I would consider an elective one just to be sure in a couple of weeks xxx
    [2012] [2013] TTC [2016/7]

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    At almost 15 weeks, I'd take that with a grain of salt. There is a reason most places won't even guess until 16 weeks, and some even later. Things develop at different rates and a clear pic of such a small area can be hard to come by. I'd just confirm down the road. By 20 weeks, a thorough check (with a full-on potty shot) should be definitive for gender. It's possible the Materni21 was wrong, however the chances that the tech is wrong is much higher. I bet it's tough to be in limbo though :-/
    A: "Owner" of the following brood:
    -Our biggest surprise dude (L: 2009)
    -Our rainbow little man (K: 2011)
    -Our sway and pray little diva (J: 2013)
    -Our lucky charm guy (S: 2015)
    We may be done, we may come back for one more sway. Time will tell. At the moment, we are very content with our family!

7. Likes Throwaway_panther liked this post
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks girls! I know the nurse told me when I got the results that it had like 99.5% accuracy or something like that. We have a name picked out and I feel like I am at peace with having another boy and then trying for a 4th baby at some point. I was not at all prepared to hear that yesterday! I just wanted to know that all was developing right b/c I'm such a Martha lol and just really want to know that he is ok in there!
    Mommy to Abigail Joyce 6/7/2010
    Evan Andrew 7/19/2012
    Riley Joseph 8/30/2014

Two angel babies in heaven 5/2013 & 8/2013

Hoping to add another princess in a couple years!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just wanted to update this thread. Kellbell had her 20 week uls and it is a boy

I really wish uls techs wouldn't make comments unless they are 100% sure about what they are seeing. I am sure this tech was tying to say to her that it is hard to tell at 15 weeks but, something like that said in passing can be upsetting!!
    Last edited by WantingPink; April 29th, 2014 at 11:43 PM.
    Love my (2006) (2009) (2013) (2014)

THANK YOU GENDER DREAMING!!!!!

10. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Likes Mommy2apples, Erin514, laurelw liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Wanting!!
    DS 1 2008
    DS 2 2010
    DS 3 2013

May 2014 at 5 weeks

August 2014 at 12 weeks

DD1 our beautiful rainbow baby joined us october 2015. No sway...just miracles.

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The genetic counsellor I worked with, who knows Maternit21 very well, told me that her friend, who is a genetic counsellor at Sequenom, told her (lots of whisper-down-the-lane, I know) that they get at least 15-20 gender mistakes per week if they are processing 2000 blood samples per week. This is in line with the accuracy rates they publish (based on a single study) but SOMEONE, somewhere has to be in the small minority of test users who get wrong results. These tests are highly accurate, but not perfect, and gender mistakes are always possible. They're unlikely, but that doesn't mean they never happen.
    our perfect family:

(8) (5) (almost one)

thank you to atomic for helping make my dreams come true

13. Likes MiaMelb liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We are years down the road with these tests now and I think we can say pretty definitively, that they WORK pretty darn well. Rumors and innuendo about what tech or counselor said something to who, when, where, and why, is NOT EVIDENCE. People who had cryptic ultrasounds the techs couldn't read or a tech that disagreed, and are then using that to debunk these tests - also not evidence. We have had people show up on the site, make claims about how these tests were wrong because their ultrasounds didn't agree but NONE OF THEM EVER CAME BACK TO UPDATE when their baby actually arrived.

There may be some distant possibility that some of these tests are not correct for gender and the company quotes about 1% error rate. But they are much, much more reliable than ultrasounds and please do not allow these threads with no actual data in them, to give you false hope or false despair. If you had a Nip-t/Nifty test done, the odds are sky high that it was correct for gender. We have techs guess wrong on ultrasounds every day around here, of all gestations. If the ultrasound doesn't agree, it's much more likely that the ultrasound is wrong and not the Nip-t/Nifty tests.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

15. Likes XXforhubby, MiaMelb liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast